On the end of Leadmill Road

Sheffield History

1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

21766471_271961759984114_5379892779196015280_n.jpg

The Norfolk Arms on Leadmill Road and neighbour to the now famous Leadmill club

Known to anybody on the buses as Dodgers, inspectors came through the back door , we went out through the front or vis versa. I remember that conductor with the Ultimate box.

I think the Dodgers name may have come from a former landlord.

You had to be quick off the mark between group sets to get a pint in The Norfolk Arms if a big name act was appearing at the Esquire.

We always went the other way along Leadmill Road to either The Rodley Inn or the Truro Tavern on the other corner of Leadmill Road.

Both these pubs if my memory serves me, were licenced for beer only.

We went in the Truro that often we were treated like locals. When the Landlord gave up the tenancy he invited us all down to his new venture at The Shakespeare . can`t exactly remember where it was though?

We got some strange looks! 6 youth`s dressed in all the latest mod gear, standing at the bar and being given a pint on the house (64/65)

19 hours ago, boginspro said:

Known to anybody on the buses as Dodgers, inspectors came through the back door , we went out through the front or vis versa. I remember that conductor with the Ultimate box.

I think the Dodgers name may have come from a former landlord.

IT got the name Dodges because the tram and bus workers used to " Dodge" in for a pint before or after their late shifts, nothing to do with a landlord named Dodge plus it was a beer only house.

23 hours ago, tozzin said:

IT got the name Dodges because the tram and bus workers used to " Dodge" in for a pint before or after their late shifts, nothing to do with a landlord named Dodge plus it was a beer only house.

As I pointed out above I was one of those transport workers who regularly used Dodgers. I think we called it Dodgers (with an r) not Dodges. When your explanation was put to the landlord at the time he would say that everyone thinks that but he believed it was named after the nickname of a previous owner who I think (but not sure) was Dodger Fielding. I don't claim either to be correct because I have heard both explanations many times but never seen proof of either.

I lived nearby in the 1950's and 60's, I happen to know Dodgers grandson and granddaughter, when they lived at the pub, I also know their mother who ran the pub for a period of time that I lived in the area.
Dodger got his nick name as he was a footballer.

3 hours ago, SteveHB said:

I lived nearby in the 1950's and 60's, I happen to know Dodgers grandson and granddaughter, when they lived at the pub, I also know their mother who ran the pub for a period of time that I lived in the area.
Dodger got his nick name as he was a footballer.

I didn't mention that he was a footballer because I wasn't sure my memory was correct, thanks.

1 hour ago, boginspro said:

I didn't mention that he was a footballer because I wasn't sure my memory was correct, thanks.

Ok boginspro I was not 100% sure, but I bumped into Dodgers grandson in the Moor market today, so the info comes straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

• Like 1