The Prince Of Wales pub (now the Frog and Parrot) on Division Street

Sheffield History

s20445.jpg

Does anyone remember The Prince Of Wales pub on Division Street in Sheffield City Centre?

Now better known as the Frog and Parrot of course and one of the main places in Sheffield to check out live bands on their early paths to success (or failure depending how they do)

Now the frontage features much more glass and is a darker colour but back then the Prince Of Wales stood proudly in bright (white?) paint

Did you go in this pub and if so what was the atmosphere like? Was it a friendly welcoming place?

We used to call in sometimes when it was on a pub crawl route. This would be in the early seventies, very basic inside with nothing to shout about. Certainly not the glamour pub but a working mans hangout. I remember being a patient in the Royal hospital opposite in 1977 and the ward overlooked the pub. I used to look out and think, I wonder if I could sneak out and have a quick pint. I bet it had been done before.

17 hours ago, Wallsy said:

We used to call in sometimes when it was on a pub crawl route. This would be in the early seventies, very basic inside with nothing to shout about. Certainly not the glamour pub but a working mans hangout. I remember being a patient in the Royal hospital opposite in 1977 and the ward overlooked the pub. I used to look out and think, I wonder if I could sneak out and have a quick pint. I bet it had been done before.

The hospital boiler house was on the opposite corner, the stoker used charge the furnace then slide across the road for a quick 'un.

I remember being in the pub opposite Middlewood hospital gates (the name I can't remember, was it the Beeley wood?) when one of the patients in his pyjamas came in for a pint, A regular occurrence apparently.