Amazing photo of Tinsley Viaduct

Sheffield History

74be6da41845915dc2faf5d9af442433.jpg

What a terrific photo this is! 

Tinsley Viaduct showing Tinsley Junction West Signal Box and Wincobank Rolling Mills entrance off Alsing Road.

I'd just love to see the Estate Agents blurb, if ever they had tried to market that property......

"With convenient access to road and rail transport links, ideally placed for the M1 motorway, this charming period property benefits from close ties with the areas industrial heritage...."

• Like 1

Wincobank Rolling Mills ( a part of the Neepsend Corporation) has long since gone...as, I imagine, has the signal box and house ( was it their office block?) I worked at nearby Tinsley Rolling Mills whilst the viaduct was being erected...a part of our billet yard was fenced off as a safety precaution from flying nuts and bolts. A light railway was erected on top of the viaduct to shunt the large steel hollow sections along it until it reached the end where a crane would place the box to be attached as an extension and at the very end the unsupported steelwork bent down at a considerable angle until uprights were put in position. Not many years after completion the viaduct needed extensive repairs... as a result of corrosion...said to have been caused by workmen using the hollow interior as a toilet!

• Like 1

It existed for a while on the GWR from the 1860s to the 1890s as a result of the original broad gauge having lost the "Gauge War" and being proscribed by Parliament.  There is osme on display at Didcot Railway Museum.

Yes, I'm aware of the G.W.R. history, but I'm too young to have travelled on those lines.🤣

The C.F. du Vivarais in France ha about two mile sof mixed-gauge track out of Tournon station towards St. Jean de Muzols, over which I travelled numerous times, but in recent years they have abandoned the mixed-gauge section.