The Co-Op opposite the ABC Cinema

Sheffield History

de2fd67c0e4823abe66fb49df0c72e8c.jpg

Anyone remember the Co-Op on Angel Street opposite the ABC Cinema?

Remember the spiral staircase right in the middle of the shop?

Yes they had everything. We purchased a lot of electrical stuff from there. Going down to the food store was great too. They had a spit roaster. Mostly for chicken's, but sometimes they would roast a lamb or pork joint. They were beautiful. The gravy juices that run off them when you got them home, were just super on some bread. I had several slices of bread just dipping it up!

The deli counter use to do a Pork and Pepper slice. Though several other stores did the same it never tasted as good as from there. Never seen it for years now, even in modern stores.  

3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

de2fd67c0e4823abe66fb49df0c72e8c.jpg

Anyone remember the Co-Op on Angel Street opposite the ABC Cinema?

Remember the spiral staircase right in the middle of the shop?

How could you forget the staircase!  Daughter had narrow feet and the B&C seemed to be the only shop with her fitting.

The shoe department was up these stairs and nylon carpeted so when you went to the stairs you got an electric shock from the metal handrail. The reason was you had charged yourself with static electricity by walking over the nylon carpet and when you touched the handrail you discharged the static electricity.

I seem to remember that the counter they sold cooked chickens, hot roast meats, etc. may at one time have been inside the entrance on Castle Street, next door to The Cannon pub? They had some rotisserie device like a miniature ferris wheel, with loads of chickens going round and around. I'm sure I used to go there with my Nan' and as she bought a chicken, she'd also buy me a roast chicken sarnie, in a crusty bread cake, straight off the hot counter. They have something similar in Morrisons today, but naturally a more modern version.... or I might be mistaken altogether? It was a long time ago...

I even remember the temporary single storey prefab type shop erected on the site immediately after the War as a replacement for the bombed out store. The new shop which replaced the temporary structure broke all Sheffield's planning rules  by not having regular lines of windows in its upper storeys and not being clad in Portland stone. The staircase had to have its hand rail raised as a safety measure after someone fell over it and did themselves a serious injury. My favourite memory was of the old world charm of the lift attendant...the last one working in the City and a memory of times long since gone when hustle and bustle wasn't the norm.