Quiz, What is this and where would you find one ?

boginspro

This brought back memories for me and most people of my age will know what it is so best leave it for the younger ones at first please.

quiz.jpg

29 minutes ago, rover1949 said:

How big is it?

It's been a long time since I have seen one so someone may need to correct this but I think they were about 28 inches across.

SteveHB and Waterside Echo obviously know what it is and have given clues above.

4 hours ago, jmdee said:

A  match striker from a bus.

No, they would have to be big matches.

4 hours ago, rover1949 said:

In that case, I think it would have been found downstairs but not upstairs ?

No chance of being upstairs.

If it has to be downstairs, I would guess it's either the cover over the transmission at the front of the bus, or a heating device.

23 hours ago, boginspro said:

It's been a long time since I have seen one so someone may need to correct this but I think they were about 28 inches across.

SteveHB and Waterside Echo obviously know what it is and have given clues above.

I reckon you wouldn't  get one in at that size.   l would have said  nearer two thirds of that. I remember what I could use them for when I was ten during the war.

1 hour ago, Keith_exS10 said:

I reckon you wouldn't  get one in at that size.   l would have said  nearer two thirds of that. I remember what I could use them for when I was ten during the war.

You are probably correct  Keith_exS10  they perhaps just looked enormous to me, when the correct answer in put up I will try and post a picture in situ which will give a better idea of the size.

33 minutes ago, jmdee said:

Looking at later comments, I am going to say it's a headlight.

Not headlights, the company that made these made many things but I don't think head lights was one of them.

10 minutes ago, rover1949 said:

I think the name plate was Clayton.

Am I getting warm?

You are correct with that name and definitely warm.

10 hours ago, Lemmy117 said:

Heater vent from downstairs on a bus?

Nigel L

Yes that's it  Lemmy117  , a Clayton Dewandre saloon heater that was fixed to the bulkhead of many pre and post war buses, including the Sheffield B and C fleet single decker half cabs. I remember them mostly from the Manchester routes where in winter passengers would try to be at the front of the queue in order to get the front seats.

Clayton Dewandre were probably best known for their heaters and braking systems but made many things including the Verometer ticket machines which were used round their local area of Lincoln. There is a bit of information about them here       -----------    http://oppositelock.kinja.com/for-those-of-you-who-like-old-ad-stuff-clayton-dewand-1593378174            ---------      and the picture below is of one on a Sheffield AEC Regal where you can just see the corner of the front seats to give an idea of the size.

CD_heater.jpg

Thank goodness for the answer. In the back of my mind the shape was familiar and I remember huddling around the blessed thing in those Spartan days when men were men and bus drivers wore thick gloves!

13 hours ago, lysander said:

Thank goodness for the answer. In the back of my mind the shape was familiar and I remember huddling around the blessed thing in those Spartan days when men were men and bus drivers wore thick gloves!

The gloves were a part of the free uniform and so was a first class overcoat. I can't remember how often the uniform was replaced  but when you left you only had to return one piece each garment so I managed to keep a very good overcoat and gloves which I had for about 20 years after leaving.