I came across this old photograph of Snowite Laundry

Where is the finger pointing?   Is the building in the background part of The Snowite Laundry?

swl.jpg

Presume so, No. 26 Barmouth Road -Joseph Plant, builder- Snowite Limited, laundry --1925

The building was the Laundry, I did an article in the Stars Retro on the very building.

The building is still there, but the square is an industrial premises now.

Great photo. Heres the nearest I can get to a google image view of today, with the laundry building at the far left

59c35f2da2c2a_ScreenShot2017-09-21at07_40_30.thumb.png.7ba4856af8fdeecdec7b64119b8d902e.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 07.42.46.png

In 1849 John Rodgers son of  cutlery manufacturer Joseph Rodgers built Abbeydale House for himself and his family, so sad to see such a great house sink to its present state.

the frontof the house can still be seen inside what used to be charlie browns

Amazingly, the tree to the front of the premises seems to have survived.

My grandparents, that is my grandmothers as far as my conscious years were concerned, lived at 12 & 14 Barmouth Road, opposite the old house: Ivy White (nee Green) and Eleanor ('Nellie') Wynne (nee Dodworth). The main laundry buildings must have been added between the wars, but I remember the modern front onto Abbeydale Road being put up, probably in the '60s. The houses were built about 1890, so Abbeydale House didn't sit long in solitary splendour. They had neat little gardens at the back with a small lawn at the bottom of each yard, and beyond the gardens a wall, beyond which was the (much lower) gennel to Carterknowle Road and the corrugated roof of Bee's garage; from it blared every weekday 'Workers' Playtime' and the like on the 'Light Programme'. The laundry gave a sense of bustle to an otherwise quiet street, and its siren marked the end of the working day.

Geoffrey White.

I own one of the  buildings on Barmouth Court to the rear of the old antique centre. We are one of the newer buildings that linked the old stables that housed the furnace, with the chimney, and the larger building that is now Molly Limpets (costume hire). The building was I believe used to press shirts and collars. Abbeydale house was the offices of Snowite. It must have been an impressive business between the wars. The house was pretty much gutted but saved from destruction. It is currently an antiques shop. The chimney was shortened recently as it was no longer possible to afford the repairs and insurance to maintain it. All the businesses cherish the history of our site and our place is called "The Laundry Rooms" in memory of it's former use. Would love to see more pics if anyone has them! Jon

The last time I was down there Norman Salt was replacing the floor on the old house, wonder if he got it done.