Birdseye view of Sheffield

Sheffield History

s-l1600.jpg

Take a look at this old photo of Sheffield. 

Zoom in and see what you can recognise and see if you can tell us where this was taken from, what we're looking at, and what you can see 

5 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

s-l1600.jpg

Take a look at this old photo of Sheffield. 

Zoom in and see what you can recognise and see if you can tell us where this was taken from, what we're looking at, and what you can see 

IT looks like Leavygreave Road, the church to the left is St Georges.

53 minutes ago, tozzin said:

Yep.  Pretty sure the weathervane in the foreground is on the roof of Firth Court.

So the photo was likely taken from the tower on the west side of the Firth Court building.

2 hours ago, neal m said:

Yep.  Pretty sure the weathervane in the foreground is on the roof of Firth Court.

So the photo was likely taken from the tower on the west side of the Firth Court building.

Yes, I agree, you beat me to it     neal m       -------------------------       (c) Picture Sheffield          -------------------           http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s06635&pos=10&action=zoom&id=9938 

university.jpg

9 hours ago, tozzin said:

Or could it be looking down West Street?

My first impression was: grim, depressing, Victorian, Dickensian, not exactly picture postcard material. But then I look a bit closer. In the foreground that quaint row of shops with canvas awnings and the chimneys in the bottom r/h corner suggest that it was a sunny day. The top 1/3 of the photo could be a lovely oil painting if it was in colour. If you cropped the picture N-S along the weather vane and looked at everything to the left, visually it is quite appealing, with the spires, the road disappearing into the distance and that stately, as yet unidentified building in the centre. I'm looking at it from a purely artistic point of view, the historians on the site would want me hanged.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, THYLACINE said:

My first impression was: grim, depressing, Victorian, Dickensian, not exactly picture postcard material. But then I look a bit closer. In the foreground that quaint row of shops with canvas awnings and the chimneys in the bottom r/h corner suggest that it was a sunny day. The top 1/3 of the photo could be a lovely oil painting if it was in colour. If you cropped the picture N-S along the weather vane and looked at everything to the left, visually it is quite appealing, with the spires, the road disappearing into the distance and that stately, as yet unidentified building in the centre. I'm looking at it from a purely artistic point of view, the historians on the site would want me hanged.

I wonder which building you mean in the centre, apart from the churches and town hall my eye was immediately drawn to two buildings that I believe are no longer there, Jessops Hospital and the Walker and Hall building.  The straight road top right has me baffled, I can only think of Granville Road but the surroundings don't seem to fit.

10 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Or could it be looking down West Street?

I may be completely wrong because I have not seen Sheffield for a long time but it looks like Leavygreave Road to me. I think bottom right at about 45 degrees is Houndsfield Road and  the 90 degree junction just to the left of the spire would be Upper Hanover Street and further along Jessops Hospital on the corner of Gell Street.

1 hour ago, tozzin said:

The road may be Granville Road, it does look very likely. Here's todays view.

St Georges Church 1.jpg

Oh dear, what is that monstrosity in the middle dwarfing Jessops  please?

36 minutes ago, boginspro said:

Oh dear, what is that monstrosity in the middle dwarfing Jessops  please?

It's part of the University and you are correct it's a monstrosity. The large building to the right of St Georges is student accomodation, when I was sixteen I worked at Donnellys cutlery firm that stood there .

2 hours ago, boginspro said:

I may be completely wrong because I have not seen Sheffield for a long time but it looks like Leavygreave Road to me.

Yes, you are correct. We can see the road passing immediately next to Jessops hospital. Shame that the Hendersons building is obscured from view.

Most bizarre. I bought a postcard with this very image on Saturday afternoon, at about the time it was posted on here :blink:, and I haven't given it much attention yet, although I have to agree that the road in the centre is Leavygreave Road and the single storey shops bottom left are Hounsfield Road.

The card I own was posted in November 1910, and it all seems rather different now.