A history of Sheffield street names

Sheffield History

1200px-High_Street,_Sheffield.jpg

Join David Templeman for a fascinating look into the origins of central Sheffield street names through images, maps and text. Hear how the town’s rural roots are still remembered and journey back through Tudor, Medieval times and beyond to discover where the street names originated.

Mon 9 October 2017 - 10:30 – 11:30 

Carpenter Room

Sheffield Central Library 

Surrey Street 

Sheffield 

S1 1XZ

Tickets - https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/a-history-of-sheffield-street-names-tickets-36895704044

• Like 1

A fascinating subject and one that has come up on here at times. It would be nice if anyone lucky enough to attend could add to this interesting topic posted by  dunsbyowl1867       --------------------                

On the topic of street names.  Anyone know how some of the streets in Sharrow got their names?

Particularly the little grid near the Sharrow Lane/Washington Road crossroads.  (Langdon Street, Fentonville Street, Penley Street, Stemp Street, Croydon Street, Mackenzie Street).  I do know that Croydon Street was originally called something else.  I'm particularly interested in Langdon Street.

Cheers!

I am looking for a Newton Square it was down the bottom of the moor some where around St Marys Church my gg grandparents lived there the died in the 1860s

23 hours ago, Sandra Billard said:

I am looking for a Newton Square it was down the bottom of the moor some where around St Marys Church my gg grandparents lived there the died in the 1860s

21 hours ago, Edmund said:

Newton Square was on Arundel Street, possibly Court 7 near the Matilda street junction.

It certainly was near Arundel Street, off Newton Lane, as shown in this post in another topic.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/16596-newton-square-near-the-moor-in-sheffield-city-centre/?do=findComment&comment=140021

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 19:00, neal m said:

On the topic of street names.  Anyone know how some of the streets in Sharrow got their names?

Particularly the little grid near the Sharrow Lane/Washington Road crossroads.  (Langdon Street, Fentonville Street, Penley Street, Stemp Street, Croydon Street, Mackenzie Street).  I do know that Croydon Street was originally called something else.  I'm particularly interested in Langdon Street.

Cheers!

Langdon Street seems to be named after a place in England, cant say which as there are several Langdon's. Fentonville, named after the Fenton family who had land there in the 1800s, Penley St could have been named after a place in Clwyd, Stemp St is unknown, maybe named after  the builder, Croydon St was originally called Frederick St but because there were already several Frederick Streets, in 1886 it was re-named Croydon St after the town, Mackenzie St was named after Rev Alexander Mackenzie, who was vicar of St Pauls from 1778 -1816. All this info is from Peter Harvey's book The Street Names of Sheffield.

On 11/16/2017 at 09:04, madannie77 said:

It certainly was near Arundel Street, off Newton Lane, as shown in this post in another topic.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/16596-newton-square-near-the-moor-in-sheffield-city-centre/?do=findComment&comment=140021

I wonderd if it was near Newton Lane Thanks

On 11/15/2017 at 11:27, Edmund said:

Newton Square was on Arundel Street, possibly Court 7 near the Matilda street junction.

Thanks for the help