Cambridge Street meets Division Street

Sheffield History

s14010.jpg

Fantastic photo here of Sheffield's past featuring the Albert Pub on the corner of Division Street and Cambridge Street.

Now long gone - do you remember this row of shops?

Remember the Albert well, one of my favourite pubs, despite not liking Whitbread beer. I used to frequent a snooker hall somewhere on Cambridge street, could have sworn it was next door to the Albert but the photo proves me wrong.

1 hour ago, Wallsy said:

Remember the Albert well, one of my favourite pubs, despite not liking Whitbread beer. I used to frequent a snooker hall somewhere on Cambridge street, could have sworn it was next door to the Albert but the photo proves me wrong.

6 doors down maybe???

s14011.jpg

That's the one. If you played the table nearest the door, you'd keep having the "ladies" from the Barleycorn coming in asking you to go in the gents and get them a packet!

Used to love this pub in the 70s Saturday afternoon start at The Saddle west street then through to The Albert usually had to cut through the cannabis smoke not 100% but pretty sure Frank White the Blues singer guitarist worked behind the bar too. Then down Cambridge street to the Barleycorn from there down to The Nelson now The Rocking chair then race back to The Black Swan for last couple. GOOD TIMES great pubs usually full Sat dinner.