SOUND ADVICE electrical and hi-fi shop

Sheffield History

s42052.jpg

Anyone remember SOUND ADVICE in Sheffield?

I can remember the name as if it were yesterday but looking at this photo and trying to remember where it was I can't for the life of me remember the location

Can you help?

Obviously some sort of shopping precinct, with the canopy over and cars parked in the reflection of the shop window. Looks like the 'Boots' corner of the Berkeley Precinct / Centre to me, with the reflection of the building, having  'Age UK', Ladbroke, Sheffield Shop, etc. in it (Refrigeration Contacts, as was)? The roofline of the houses in Rosedale Gardens and the lamp standards in the car park also work in the reflection, so anyone agree, disagree, remember the actual shop being there? Not my end of town, so I wouldn't have been in, but it was fun trying to work it out just from the reflected image!

I'm stood in the empty parking spot, to the right of the black VW Golf, leaning against the white post, taking this photo in what, mid-late 80's??? Oh, I should have looked first.... another image from Picture Sheffield, with the date as 20th February 1980, so a bit earlier than I had in mind?!.... pity it didn't have the location on, as it would have been easier to find the answer lol

plus, on the PS photo, it's a little clearer and one can see the photographer in the shop window reflection also!

image001.png

I think it was at the bottom of Rockingham Street - left hand side going up from The Moor, facing the side of Roberts Bros old shop.

40 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I think it was at the bottom of Trafalgar Street - left hand side going up from The Moor, facing the side of Roberts Bros old shop.

Not quite sure where you are? Do you mean Rockingham Gate? That was Superfi at No.1, but I don't believe it is the same type of building, nor would have that reflection in the window?  

Yes, Superfi rings a bell with me so you may be right.

I know I've seen the shop before in the old days and often looked in the windows so I will have to think further about this.

This is/was Superfi and back in the day, it was THE place for serious audiophile kit. However, it doesn't have much of a resemblance to the 'Sound Advice' store in the original image, both the layout of the store front and the canopy above?

IMG_2899.PNG