Athol Hotel in Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

Athol Hotel Sheffield.jpg

ATHOL HOTEL - Sheffield City Centre

We've all seen the Athol Hotel from Cole Brothers side right? That colourful charasmatic building that is so well known and loved and one of Sheffield's little hidden gems?

img_20150314_173529.jpg

post-1084-1231359096.jpg

s14688.jpg

Well did you know the Athol Hotel entrance was once around the back of there on Pinstone Street?

Not sure when it closed but did anyone ever remember it or even venture inside?

s21712.jpg

I used to go in there in the late 50's early 60's - my grandmother worked there at one point.

The Athol tried to be more up-market than most pubs and the most notable and unusual thing was that they had a very good pianist playing a grand piano and he was immaculately attired with dress shirt, dickie bow etc. and when he took a break, he walked around the patrons and offered them all a pinch of snuff out of his snuff box.

When I declined, he told me to try dipping my next cigarette in it before I lit up and yeah,  it was quite nice.

Don't know when it closed down - at a guess I would say in the 70's.

15 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Ive always liked the Salvation Army building just further down the road. Is this whole area to be pulled down for redevelopment?

222.png

I believe there was talk about this block being demolished but as I walked past yesterday I noticed  the shop next to the Salvation Army building which consists of all the corner bit and part along Pinstone Street had all been recently renovated and opened up as a new shop. I think it was a Co-op bank, I don't think they would have invested in it if it had been ready to be demolished, maybe the council has had a change of mind.

1 hour ago, ukelele lady said:

I believe there was talk about this block being demolished but as I walked past yesterday I noticed  the shop next to the Salvation Army building which consists of all the corner bit and part along Pinstone Street had all been recently renovated and opened up as a new shop. I think it was a Co-op bank, I don't think they would have invested in it if it had been ready to be demolished, maybe the council has had a change of mind.

Same place, different time. The smoking chimneys are the Yorkshireman Public House.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Great photo'  tozzin    Hepworths suits seem a bit expensive, do you know the year of that photo' ?    I remember Hepworths from the 60s, presumably the same who are now NEXT plc.

13 hours ago, tozzin said:

The sign indicates land for sale, this land was bought by the Salvation Army and the result was the Citadel we see today.

59bcda109ea95_SalvationArmyCitadel1894.thumb.png.ce7ec986f02722518082601c661bbe6a.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tozzin said:

Same place, different time. The smoking chimneys are the Yorkshireman Public House.

image.jpeg

Further to the date when  this picture was taken, the sign on the back wall of the Yorkshireman just under the eaves does give the landlords name, he was Abraham Davy, not Abram as stated in the A to Z list of pubs, Abraham was there from 1890 to 1893.

If (like me) you're confused how the "front" and "back" of these buildings related to each other, I thought I'd get a screenshot from google maps for posterity - next time they refresh the images it will be all gone.

Front and back...connected together with a very thin middle section...

2.png

1.png

On 14/09/2017 at 22:30, LeadFarmer said:

Todays view..

Walked past this the other day, This is how it looks now

111.png

B6DB1CF6-F1EF-4470-97C5-A06B0C40DA1E.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tozzin said:

Utter vandalism.

It was a dead end of town that’s been rejuvenated. Worse buildings have been demolished then the Athol Hotel, they’ve kept the best bits and are mixing it with new.

Now if we were posting back in the early 60’s and you were on about the demolition of buildings bang across the road at the the junction of Charles St and Pinstone St I’d wholeheartedly agree.......utter utter vandalism   

8 hours ago, Wisewood-Owl said:

It was a dead end of town that’s been rejuvenated. Worse buildings have been demolished then the Athol Hotel, they’ve kept the best bits and are mixing it with new.

Now if we were posting back in the early 60’s and you were on about the demolition of buildings bang across the road at the the junction of Charles St and Pinstone St I’d wholeheartedly agree.......utter utter vandalism   

It was never a dead end of town, just what best bits have been retained? a perfectly c18century building was demolished on Norfolk Row a few years ago, it’s neighbours were of the same age so why was one singled out. I dread to see the end product of Cambridge Street, they’ve already destroyed its character in the sixties and the buildings that were erected in the place of the demolished ones have in turn since been demolished, a very short life.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2020 at 10:46, tozzin said:

Utter vandalism.

Absolutely agree. Its like spraying graffiti on a beautiful piece of art.