Victoria Train Station War Memorial

Sheffield History

I have three passenger services British Railways timetables covering the following:-

(1)  Midlands (London - The Midlands - North Wales -The North) 17th June to 8th September 1963.

(2) Eastern Region - 9th September 1963 to 14th June 1964.

(3) North Eastern England - same dates as (2).

There is a lot of additional information about 'Named Trains' and 'Through Services'. All contain route maps.

Although not late sixties, PM me if you think there may be anything of use to you in any way.

Closest I have is WTT Section C for 3/67 - 5/68 but will need to dig it out if you think it might help.  Fairly sure includes Victoria.  

On 17/03/2019 at 10:33, Peter Hall said:

Closest I have is WTT Section C for 3/67 - 5/68 but will need to dig it out if you think it might help.  Fairly sure includes Victoria.  

I did manage to find a passenger timetable for 1968 on E-bay.  But if that does included freight train movements it will be helpful.

I was also wondering what was happening to the former Park Goods which linked to the Victoria line at this time? I understand it was closed in 1963, but were the tracks still there around 1967 to 1968?

Section C is passenger only I'm afraid. No copies of the relevant freight timetables in my collection I am afraid. 

On 12/04/2019 at 22:39, History dude said:

Did Victoria have a WH Smith kiosk on any of the platforms?

Can’t find any photos, references or evidence of a kiosk on the station itself, but as they were based at the bottom of the approach on Exchange Street, it’s seems feasible?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20227&action=zoom&pos=69&id=22744&continueUrl=

WH Smith had kiosks in both Midland and Victoria stations in 1908. Smiths were operating in Victoria in 1859, and in the Midland in 1865.

I came across a photo of the station concourse dated to 1969. There clearly is a kiosk here, though you can't make out the owner it clearly looks like a Smith one.

Interestingly too during my research I came upon several items that have survived the demolition of the site. There are a number of notice boards from the station at the National Railway Museum. However there are no images on line of them, probably not on display either. 

And a signal box name plate that went up for auction and sold to an unknown bidder.

And to round it all off a train spotters note book for May 1965!   

nick-littlewood-the-deserted-inside-of-sheffield-victoria-station-13-november-1969-1.jpg

Sheffield Est No4 sign.jpg

Sheffield Victoria on Friday 7th May 1965.jpg

Does anyone konw what the screen was made of that kept the north wind at bay on the final platform at Victoria. You can see it well in this image of Falcon in 1962.

falcon at Victoria 1962.jpg

This had me scratching my head a bit. this must have been between platform 5 and the outside goods lines, I used the Victoria quite a lot, especially when working in Manchester. It  was a long time ago and memory dims but I must have seen this, probably from both sides because I also often travelled down Sussex Street  to the North Pole pub.  Is this it from Sussex Street ?   If so it must have been quite sturdy, the wind couldn't  half get up from that direction.     ----------------   (C) Picture Sheffield   ----------   http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s19837&pos=9&action=zoom&id=22368

sussex_street.png

image.gif

image.gif

Yes the other two freight lines were on the other side of them on platform five. They were put up to stop the passangers getting blasted by the north wind!

On 10/09/2017 at 11:35, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 21.10.37.jpg

Victoria Station entrance and the War Memorial to Great Central Railway employees who died in WWI

History of the War Memorial

Jan. 1925 the marble tablets had deteriorated and were covered over.In 1971 the plaques alone were resited, and later the rededication plaque was stolen.

Costs

Comments: Original budget was £5000, of which £3305 was for Longden's. 1925 cost of encasing marble tablets in kupron bronze £1165. Cost of relocation in 2003 £64,793.

Description

Three panels within a wooden frame and set in wall. Panels lists the ex-railway men who died in WW1. Raised lettering. A dedicatory plaque is mounted next to panels, depicts the history of the memorial and the quotation. Raised lettering in white with red background.

Plaque: THE GREAT CENTRAL RAILWAY WAR MEMORIAL/ THE GREAT CENTRAL RAILWAY COMPANY ERECTED THE ORIGINAL MEMORIAL ON THIS SITE/ IN MEMORY OF 1304 RAILWAY EMPLOYEES WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR/ COUNTRY IN THE 1914-18 GREAT WAR.

THE UNVEILING CEREMONY ON 9TH AUGUST 1922/ BY FIELD MARSHAL EARL HAIG WITH MANY DIGNITARIES ATTENDING TOOK PLACE IN THE/ PRESENCE OF OVER 8000 PEOPLE. ALTERATIONS TO THE STATION AND HOTEL FORECOURT AREA IN 1938 SAW THE MEMORIAL/ MOVED INSIDE THE STATION-BOOKING HALL AND PRIOR TO THE DEMOLITION OF/ VICTORIA STATION.

THE MEMORIAL WAS AGAIN RELOCATED IN 1971 TO BELOW THE/ WICKER ARCHES, WHERE OVER THE YEARS IN HAD BADLY DETERIORATED AND/ SUFFERED DAMAGE. THE GREAT CENTRAL RAILWAY SOCIETY WITH THE HELP OF THE HERITAGE LOTTERY FUND/ AND OTHER MAJOR SPONSORS ARE PROUD TO HAVE BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR THE/ RESTORATION OF THIS SPLENDID MEMORIAL AND BY KIND PERMISSION OF THE OWNERS/ OF THE ROYAL VICTORIA HOLIDAY INN HOTEL. TO HAVE ARRANGED ITS RETURN TO A/ SITE VERY CLOSE TO ITS ORIGINAL LOCATION.

THE REDEDICATION SERVICE CONDUCTED BY THE DEAN OF SHEFFIELD TOOK PLACE ON/ ARMISTRIC DAY, 11TH NOVEMBER 2003 'At the going down of the sun, and in the morning. We will remember them' Panels: (Names)