WILSON PECK music shop

Sheffield History

s08046.jpg

s22934.jpg

Anyone remember WILSON PECK piano and music store in Sheffield City Centre?

I can't remember ever going in but definitely remember the building and the shop from the outside

Had the pleasure of working in the record department at Wilson Pecks after leaving school at the end of 1962 until I left Sheffield to move to Derbyshire in early 1964.

I enjoyed the short time I was there and whenever I returned to Sheffield I would always visit Wilson Pecks. I was sorry to see it go.

Went in there a lot to buy records in the late 50's & 60's. You could listen to a short part of a record  via headphones on the wall. Used to admire the wonderful looking pianos on display too.

.Also went in  Canns on Chapel Walk for records. Cann the Music Man as there advert put it.

I remember coming down to Wilson Peck's after school at King Ted's and listening in a booth to Ten Years After, Spooky Tooth, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin....Fabulous.

Used to go there to get tickets for the City Hall. They had a booking office downstairs.

3 of us got in serious bother for sneaking out of King Teds at lunchtime to get tickets for the Beatles and got spotted by a teacher. 

Tended to buy most of my music from Canns as they seemed to have more choice than Wilson Peck.

Hi everyone, just joined you all. Love the site, it is so interesting. I have lots of info to share.  I remember Wilson Peck's shop well with the curving window on the corner. My Mum worked there in the record dept during the 1940s, she told me stories about 'peculiar' customers they would get in, and also some 'famous' ones. It's also where she met the love of her life, her first husband Arty. He was one of their Radio Engineers, who was on emergency repair call out all through the war. He sadly died in 1949 from complications following a car accident. But Wilson Peck's always meant a lot to her, as working there and meeting him back then was a happy time for her, she was rather upset when it shut down, I guess she felt the book had closed on that part of her life.  Am I right in thinking it was up on their building they had the 1 o'clock workers siren ? I remember it used to frighten the living daylights out of the unsuspecting !

What can't have helped them was the decision to move the City Hall booking office to the City Hall as footfall dropped after this. I think the record dept shut in 1980 as I seem to recall buying a lot of Film Music LPs at that time.

When they re-opened, they were on Ecclesall Road for a time, before moving to the back of the Moor.

On the photo of the shop just below the Wilson Peck name you can see a square stone, on this stone was the name Beethoven House put there by Wilson Peck, quite an apt name for the business, that's been removed and some other name replaced it.

Rather more than a piano and music store. Upstairs they had rooms for hire where you could pay for instrument lesson and rehearsal .  I had weekly violin lessons there around 1959 from a chap (name now forgotten) who was previously with the Halle.

I worked at Wilson Peck as an apprentice TV engineer for three years from 1968. Colour TV had just started in 1967 on BBC2 and Wilson peck had the contract to supply the TV's for the winners of the "Spot the Ball" competitions in the Sheffield "Star" and "Green 'Un". I used to go out with a senior engineer and help to install the TV's. The store was huge, I think the City Hall booking office was in the basement.The ground floor had musical intruments and records.TV and audio was on one side of the first floor, with pianos and organs on the other side.I think there were two floors of rehearsal rooms. The piano refurbishment workshop was on the very top floor along with the TV and audio service department.

The one o'clock time signal was on the side of the H.L.Brown jewelers store opposite.

Round about 1980 we used to go upstairs, grab guitars from the wall and jam until the manager came and threw us out.

I got my first recorder, an Adler wooden descant, from there in 1965.  It cost £1-0-3 which was a fair price for my parents in those days.  I still have it, complete with price written on the bottom of the case.

Used to go in there quite a lot as a youth in the 70s.  Bought many records there; they had booths where you could listen to 'em downstairs.  Upstairs was where they sold guitars and amps.  I used to buy strings from there for a long time, until I discovered Carlsbro, off Eccleshall Road.