Middlewood Hospital

Sheffield History

Hi,

I actually live in Kingswood Hall and just wanted to clarify that the "Admin Block" and Kingswood Hall are in fact 2 separate buildings as this seems to be getting a bit confused. What is now generally thought of as the Admin Block is the one with the clock tower that you have many pictures of above. This is currently under development and when complete will comprise of 38 luxury apartments. Kingswood Hall is a much bigger building comprising of almost 100 luxury apartments and this has been completed and inhabited for nearly 3 years now. I think Kingswood Hall was also used for administration but I can't find much information on it.

hi louise kingswood block housed four wards no. 10 11 12 13 . 12s was an acute admission wards for females ward 13 for longer stay female wards 10 and 11 for male patients the archway in the middle of the building was the way in ward 12 was on the ground floor ward 13 on the top floor above there was an office used by the medical staff in the center of the ground floor allthe offices dentists shops boutique kitchens reception area ect where in the building where the clock tower is hope this helps you know about the layout of middlewood

Guest coinsidence

it is really so interesting reading about the old hospital....

My mother was admitted to the hospital when i was a small baby, due to a mental breakdown (i think giving birth to me pushed her to the edge!) and I was taken by social services for adoption. I grew up not knowing either of my birth parents but later found this info out, whats more my Father worked in the hospital kitchen!

The almighty coinsidence in all of this is that I now live in the new wadsley park village!

Its funny when i walk my dog around the estate their are certain area's that she refuses to walk.....

Guest shanedarbey

Really enjoyed looking at the photo's, My best freinds parents both worked at middlewood so I spent a lot of time on the wards or kicking about the grounds. They also lived in one of the large cottages on Worral Rd, The thing that amazed me the most was the speed the buildings seemed to fall apart after the closure of the hospital, Almost like they just gave up and fell down. It was spooky walking around there when the place was up and running but going back when it was empty was twice as bad. I have heard some scary storys about that place and often wonder if the oppressive atmosphere still hang's around the new estate

HI mate i cannot go into to much detail, but some of what happened to the buildings was not by accident through decay and falling apart, i was an in patient several times spent 3 yr there was discharged three months before it finaly closed, I saw somethings that i was told to keep quiet or things may happen. so i did. its only now that you relise why they happened. money and lots of it.

please look out for my, page as i saw things whilst in there, typing it today

thanks

Guest shanedarbey

IT was with great sadness that i saw what had happened, to middlewood in some of the photos on here, I was one of the last few patients to be on ward 37 at the hospital, I left in april 1995, I was a patient many times between 1991 and 1995, my longest spell was 2years, (this the last time) WEEKS BEFORE IT CLOSED.

i HAVE SOME FOND MEMORIES OF WALKING WITHING THE GROUNDS OF THIS GREAT HOSPITAL, IT WAS ALSO MY NIGHT MARE YEARS TOO.

i SAW SOMETHINGS THAT WILL HAUNT ME FOR EVER. AND NEVER FORGET SOME OF THEM.

THE STONE TREES WERE MAGICAL, THE UNDER GROUND WATER WORKS WERE OUT OF THIS WORLD!

i WENT IN SIDE KINGS WOOD, QUEENS AND MOST OF THE OTHER WARDS THAT WERE THERE.

20 AND 21 HAUNT ME,on ward 21, there were still beds made, peoples stuff and property at the bed side ( it was like theyed just vanished into mid air,notice boards left with details on, medical rooms full of equipment,machines, bandages, medicens, just left hanging around. yet the words had been closed for at least 5yrs when i went in and looked.

THE CLOCK TOWER AND THE HALL WAY FULL TO THE CEILING OF DATA AND FILES GOING BACK TO WHEN IT FIRST OPENED, AMAZING TO SEE, NEVER SEEN SO MUCH PAPER WORK OF SO MANY PEOPLES LIVES AND THEIR HISTORY.

Not sure what i saw in some of the wards, were they ghosts or where they poor spirits just lost and trying to find there way. something that never leaves me even till today.the old white ghostly lady on 21 is the one i rember best.

This hospital was a brilliant place, i saw the old dance hall, the cine projector, and the battered old condom machine fixed to the wall, i saw and went inside the kings and queens buildings, saw lots of things thats now history, there was a old wooden spinning wheel chair (broken) but i new what it was for , the padded cell on the second floor and even on the third. the shower rooms, and baths the old call bells, and the nurses desks.beds still half made,

East gate fairlawns, the cafe place (50p shape building). the old work shops the church and the under ground maze. very few talk of the underground walk way that ran from the church right through the grounds, this was a scarey place, and one place i didnt like to be but had tryed to look and go down many times.

Having read through a lot of the stories the under ground walk way doesnt seem to be common knowledge, is there any one who has been down there besides the likes of me.

The stigma of being and having a mental health problem!

Its hard to say you have a mental health problem, cause half the battle is admitting that you have a problem or a issue with yourself. untill you do you dont see that you are mentally ill or have problems!.

Took me years to see that i had and still have, just makes life so much easier when you accept that you do, now the hard bit is to make others understand and accept this too.

Mental health has changed so much in the last 50yrs and more so in the last 20yrs and more so in the last year for me!

What has happened to the old school people that had spent most of their lives in these places, people who i new last off that had been in middlewood most of their lives were, ronnie, dougie ( lends ten pence for a cup a tea) and brenda, these were the people who had lived their most of their lives, what happened to them?

I spoke to many members and old members of staff and gaind a great knowledge of what went on at this place, some good, some bad, some ugly. somethings i cannot mention on here.

MY ORIGINAL DR WAS DR GITTLESON a small man but was very strong in his words, he didnt mess about, straight to the point ( do you want to die young man! never forget him saying that to me. I was 19 then!

Dr gwilam hayes, now he was brilliant, and thanks for his support and that of the staff on ward 37 i am here today, and i do thank them for all their help. im still mad but whey hey,

IT DID ME THE WORLD OF GOOD AND WILL STICK WITH ME FOR EVER.

WHO AM I

I AM SHANE DARBEY one patient who has overcome the battle of mental health issues, and has no regrets about being a ex patient at middlewood hospital. now 34 yrs old and enjoying life again.

Word of warning to ex patients and staff who did go into the derilict buildings during the 90's, asbesdos was beeing taken out of the walls and ceilings during this time, so if you like i did, and went right through the whole hospital wards, please be alert to any lung or respiritry problems that you may have and seek medical advice it could be asbestosis. from picking upthe dust particles from walking through the wards and in my case the offices and tower block and the main giant building that had the view to middlewood road and the valley. the tower block was where all the files were stored and pilled high from floor to ceiling in the long corridoor.

I to saw details of patients along with files and other personal things about other patients, which to our blessings have been laid to rest and destroyed. i hope!

s.a.darbey1175@btinternet.com if you would like to ask me anything. i will reply. i dont mind talking to other expatients or nurses.

Guest shanedarbey

FACTS FOUND SO FAR..

The Kingswood block has been converted into luxury apartments,and called Kingswood Hall

One of the buildings was called 'Fairlawns' ?

There was a hospital magazine called 'Jigsaw'

1,189 staffed beds (date of count - 31.12.1975)

Thought to be the home of Sheffield ghosts and reported to be very haunted !

I was a patient during 1991- 1995 there were always stories of ghosts and spirits, it is true and it not supprising why, there were murders in the grounds, and accidents, like the lady who died in the under ground maze,(she got lost), lots of stories, just have to look to find them

Guest newbie65

I was a nurse at Middlewood, eventually nursing officer and finally nurse tutor up to my retirement. A number of years ago I wrote to the late Desmond Wilcox and asked for his help in obtaining a video of the film he produced for `Man Alive` BBC, I was fortunate by being able to get a copy which I still have in my possession. The film was shown in 1974 lasting 45 minutes. Many Middlewood characters are depicted in the film which centered mainly on the Kingswood block, ward 12, ward 13 and ward 9. Both doctors Gittleson and Dr. Myers are interviewed along with many of the nursing staff. Also a number of the patients at that time gave a little talk, Stanley Buttons etc. Also clearly shown is the charcter ` Pond Sreet Nora` who is seen busy working in the OT. This film is of historical value being over thirty years ago and shows many of the buildings as they were both inside and out.

I also have other film footage on video related to old Middlewood and one final video we took of the death and end of the old place. We started by taking the camera to the top of Jaw Bone hill and zoomed in to Kingswood in the far distance, eventually filmed inside the old wards long since emptied and parts of the grounds before it was destroyed by the builders.

When I initially started at the hospital during 1969 the grounds then were spectacular with well cared for flower beds, lawns and towering trees, the gardens were cared for mainly by the patients under the leadership of nurses( the gardening gang) as they were known at that time.

A sad day when it closed for ever, and sad for many of the patients who were safe within the full meaning of the word asylum, a place of safety.

Guest shanedarbey

THese were the only pictures i have off middlewood hospital, these are special to me, I drew and hand painted the mural, whilst on my last stay on ward 37, it was painted in the giant dinning room, it took me weeks to do.

sorry pics arent very clear was completed november 1994.

The third was my photo of my arrival in september looking very weiry, much like a criminal mug shot, they gave me the picture the day i left.

i only rembered id got them in the early hours of this morning and thought id find em and post them as a reminder, some people may even have seen my mural, if you have please reply or mail me, id like to know when you saw it. as i said

Middlewood hospital was very important to me for many reasons, most of which were for the better. Ido have sad memories too, but most are long since forgotten,

my up most respect goes out to the staff and patients from all those years ago, the bad the good and the ugly, its now erelevent, its just history, may it and them rest in peace.

My email is s.a.darbey1175@btinternet.com if youd like to mail me, i will respond to your email, thanks

Hi Shane, do you remember a surprise birthday party and a cake with a F1 racing car on it.....? Or waiting for the satellite wiring being sorted so you could watch the F1 race?

Guest shanedarbey

Hi Shane, do you remember a surprise birthday party and a cake with a F1 racing car on it.....? Or waiting for the satellite wiring being sorted so you sould watch the F1 race?

SPENDING YOUR 21ST BIRTHDAY IN A MENTAL ASYLUM lol.

yes i do it was for my 21st birth day, oh my god, this is why i came on here to find out more about what happened whilst their, so i left later than i thought then, because i was 21 on june the 11th 1995,so i was still on ward 37 then.

I was into formular 1 then and am still a fan.

MY LIFE CHANGE SO MUCH SINCE BEING ON WARD 37, I GOT MARRIED 1 AUGUST 1997, TWO CHILDREN, SPLIT UP N DEVORCED AUGUST 2005. NO MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES AT ALL FROM 1997 TO 2005, CAR ACCIDENT NOVEMBER 2005,MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES RETURNED TILL JUNE 2008, NOW AFTER RECOVERY I AM HERE! SEE BELOW.

I had a car accident 4 yrs ago that has wiped out some of my memory, so its remebering things on how they were then.

THE BIGGEST SHOCK IS THAT I AM BACK AT COLLEGE STUDYING TO BE A MENTAL HEALTH NURSE AND COUNSELLING, I GOT 4 YRS COLLEGE THEN UNI.

HARD GOING BUT I'M LEARNING ABOUT ME AND WHO I AM TOO, I ENJOY MY COURSES VERY MUCH, AND HOPE I CAN GIVE BACK SOME OF WHAT I HAVE TO HELP OTHERS SOME OF WHICH ARE FAR WORSE THAN ME.

PLEASE DROP ME AN EMAIL AND SAY WHO YOU ARE, I D LOVE TO SAY HI AND PERHAPS CHAT A LITTLE MORE, ABOUT WHAT WAS HAPPENING

THANK YOU, FOR MAKING MY DAY

BEST WISHES SHANE

Guest nosy nellie

SPENDING YOUR 21ST BIRTHDAY IN A MENTAL ASYLUM lol.

yes i do it was for my 21st birth day, oh my god, this is why i came on here to find out more about what happened whilst their, so i left later than i thought then, because i was 21 on june the 11th 1995,so i was still on ward 37 then.

I was into formular 1 then and am still a fan.

MY LIFE CHANGE SO MUCH SINCE BEING ON WARD 37, I GOT MARRIED 1 AUGUST 1997, TWO CHILDREN, AJ AND BECKS, SPLIT UP N DEVORCED AUGUST 2005. NO MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES AT ALL FROM 1997 TO 2005, CAR ACCIDENT NOVEMBER 2005,MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES RETURNED TILL JUNE 2008, NOW AFTER RECOVERY I AM HERE! SEE BELOW.

I had a car accident 4 yrs ago that has wiped out some of my memory, so its remebering things on how they were then.I guess ive not changed very much, lost most of my hair moved to mansfield AFTER DEVORCE. TWO GREAT KIDS, NOW 8 AND 11. LOVE THEM TO BITS AND HAVE THEM REGULAR TOO, GUESS THEY KEEP ME SANE TO A HIGH DEGREE.

THE BIGGEST SHOCK IS THAT I AM BACK AT COLLEGE STUDYING TO BE A MENTAL HEALTH NURSE AND COUNSELLING, I GOT 4 YRS COLLEGE THEN UNI.

HARD GOING BUT I'M LEARNING ABOUT ME AND WHO I AM TOO, I ENJOY MY COURSES VERY MUCH, AND HOPE I CAN GIVE BACK SOME OF WHAT I HAVE TO HELP OTHERS SOME OF WHICH ARE FAR WORSE THAN ME.

PLEASE DROP ME AN EMAIL AND SAY WHO YOU ARE, I D LOVE TO SAY HI AND PERHAPS CHAT A LITTLE MORE, ABOUT WHAT WAS HAPPENING

THANK YOU, FOR MAKING MY DAY

BEST WISHES SHANE

I remember you Shane and the painting you did on the wall it was fabulous.

I am glad that you are now studying to be a nurse I thought you would get on in the world,I am one of the domestic staff that used to give you your tea,and I remember you always liked your curries.

THese were the only pictures i have off middlewood hospital, these are special to me, I drew and hand painted the mural, whilst on my last stay on ward 37, it was painted in the giant dinning room, it took me weeks to do.

sorry pics arent very clear was completed november 1994.

The third was my photo of my arrival in september looking very weiry, much like a criminal mug shot, they gave me the picture the day i left.

i only rembered id got them in the early hours of this morning and thought id find em and post them as a reminder, some people may even have seen my mural, if you have please reply or mail me, id like to know when you saw it. as i said

Middlewood hospital was very important to me for many reasons, most of which were for the better. Ido have sad memories too, but most are long since forgotten,

my up most respect goes out to the staff and patients from all those years ago, the bad the good and the ugly, its now erelevent, its just history, may it and them rest in peace.

My email is s.a.darbey1175@btinternet.com if youd like to mail me, i will respond to your email, thanks

It really is a shame that the building had to go.They seem to be pulling down a lot of nice old buildings. :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Record 'em, we will chase the history of them where we can.

Welcome to, err, here ! Ask questions, post memories, put up pictures - we will respond as best we can, we're free, polite and some of us know "stuff" too :blink:

Guest shanedarbey

I remember you Shane and the painting you did on the wall it was fabulous.

I am glad that you are now studying to be a nurse I thought you would get on in the world,I am one of the domestic staff that used to give you your tea,and I remember you always liked your curries.

there were only two or three that i got on well with but cannot think of your or their names, my memory is rearly bad. sheila was one, josie ( a bit like a mother figure which i realy liked) her son was into speedway i think, always had a close bond with her not 100% about names though, small dark hair and worked most shifts with nicola ( not 100% on name), and nicola i think the blond lass, thats all i can rember, if youd like to email, love to here from you,

If i was to guess who you are id say josie

s.a.darbey1175@btinternet.com

Guest newbie65

Anyone know what Middlewood Lodge and Kingswood used to be ?

As far as know Middlewood Lodge was the old gate house, staff coming on duty years back collected their keys, returning them on their way out. It was situated at the entrance to the hospital.

Kingswood was one of the blocks housing up to around 300 patients at one time. the top floor was mainly huge dormitarys. Eventually the ground floor became the two admission wards, one male and the other female, middle floor were continuing care wards and the top floor housed decanting areas whilst patients own ward was decorated etc. When I worked at Middlewood years ago the top ward (10A) housed 90 male learning disabilities or as was referred to then as the mentally subnormal.

This is truely one of the most interesting topics i have ever gone through.

Does anyone still ever see any of the old patients who were left out in the cold from the hospital once it closed?

I see a couple around the Hillsborough area, a chap called Walter, a chap called Dougie and a lady called Maureen, though i havent seen her for 3 years.

although the Wadsely Park village is a pretty looking place, its a shame to hide a lot of the history behind in, and well, underneath it.

I would guess that a large majority of people that live there dont actually know what grounds they are living on.

I am now firmly resident in Middlewood Lodge (the old admin block I think)

Its been converted very nicely and is as peaceful as it first appeared.

I have taken photo sof the building at night - I would post them if I knew how!

Tea offer still there if anyone is interested in visiting the old building again

The church is still there, I wonder how one gains entry, I would love to photgraph the interior before it falls down

Whereabouts in the lodge are you ?

Front existing section or the newbuild round the back ?

Guest newbie65

The new building erected behind the old admin block apparently is named Middlewood Lodge, christened by the construction company that built it. There was never a Middlewood Lodge during the days of the hospital, apart from the key lodge at the entrance to the hospital as explained earlier.

On entering the admin block during the old days the doors to the left and right were the board rooms, further along and to the left was the telephonists, opposite was a door leading to the stairs to the doctors quarters on the first floor. Further along the wide corridor were the secretarial offices and the office of the hospital secretary

The top floor at one time was the school of nursing.

As for ghosts I never had the pleasure of meeting one, even after eight years as a manager on night duty. I did receive reports of noices on some of the upper wards which were empty, but having toured them I never met one, I used to say that the first one I meet would be sent to the busy wards to help out. It was`nt unusual to find ex-patients who were homeless, hungry and cold to get into the building for warmth and security. We always fed them and occasionally allowed them to have a bath before sending them on their way with a couple of bob. Hope this clarifies a few questions.

Guest samsweet @ UKGT

Hey all just a short note to ask some information on Middlewood Hospital if its possible...I run a ghosthunting team called UKGhosttours and we would love to have a look at the old "Asylum" I wondered if anyone knew if there is any of it left for us to investigate at all....and if there is does anyone know who now owns the building???? This is so that we can gain access and or permission to run a full overnight investigation along the lines of Most Haunted --- Minus the theatricals and screams....

If anyone is interested in what we do we have a fabulous website for you to look at...I'm not sure if I am allowed to post it here I will do but obviously if there is any problems with this I'm sure the admin will remove it. If there is a problem I sincerely apologise...

The site is www.ukghosttours.com

and we have a really fab venue coming up shortly...Danby Castle which is close to Whitby...so if you are interested please go to the site and take a look...

Thanks folks...Sam.. lol lol