'Sheffield Corporation Tramways'/SCT Electrical Junction Box, outside the Cathedral?

Robinson102

Hi All, 

I've come across a few references to a Sheffield Corporation Tramways 'Electrical Junction Box' outside the Cathedral (apparently moved there to preserve it during road works elsewhere). 

However, having been to the Cathedral and looked around it, I haven't been able to find anything. I've also asked staff members & volunteers within the Cathedral, likewise drawing a blank. 

Just wondering if anyone might be able to provide any information as to where this is located; and if it has been moved, where it was moved to? 

Thanks. 

_20170906_205932.JPG

There's one that's been re-located into the City Road Cemetery, it's just up the steps at the main entrance and this one has the coat of arms fully painted in colour. It's been there for years.

• Thanks 1

Thank you - I shall have another look when I get back to Sheffield to see if it's still there - I had a fruitless search previously (which is why I made this post), but I only checked within the Cathedral Grounds. 

I shall also have a look for the one at City Road Cemetery. 

19 hours ago, Robinson102 said:

Thank you - I shall have another look when I get back to Sheffield to see if it's still there - I had a fruitless search previously (which is why I made this post), but I only checked within the Cathedral Grounds. 

I shall also have a look for the one at City Road Cemetery. 

To save you going to City Road Cemetery.

001.JPG

The Cathedral one is indeed still there, found it today. Thanks to all who helped! 

Does anyone happen to know if there is already a thread on here for Sheffield tramway 'remains'? I'm curious what else there is to look for... 

DSC_4265.JPG

There are a few tramway poles around. One on Abbeydale Rd is in good condition. There are also scores of inspection covers in the pavement in various parts of the city including Rustlings Rd, South Rd, Crookes Rd and many more.

I've been told there is a pole on Prince of Wales Road, although I haven't been to look for it yet. Fairly close to Manor Top, apparently?

I shall have to go look for some of these inspection covers. 

33 minutes ago, Robinson102 said:

I've been told there is a pole on Prince of Wales Road, although I haven't been to look for it yet. Fairly close to Manor Top, apparently?

I think there might be a couple but they are painted white. The one on Abbeydale Rd is pretty intact. It's before the big Tesco, on the left heading out of town.

36 minutes ago, Robinson102 said:

There's a thread on here about the inspection covers. It was one of the first things I posted about. Maybe someone clever can post a link? :)

On 21/09/2017 at 15:37, Calvin72 said:

I think there might be a couple but they are painted white. The one on Abbeydale Rd is pretty intact. It's before the big Tesco, on the left heading out of town.

The Abbeydale Road one I've already managed to photograph :) haven't managed others though, so far. 

DSC_4364.JPG

3 hours ago, Robinson102 said:

The pole at the top of Prince of Wales Road can be seen in the last of the images on this post

3 hours ago, Calvin72 said:

There's a thread on here about the inspection covers. It was one of the first things I posted about. Maybe someone clever can post a link? :)

Not sure about the clever bit, but:

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/14541-sheffield-tramway-manhole-covers/

is presumably the topic you refer to, Calvin.

Fairly certain the box by the Cathedral is not the one that was there prior to the re-modelling of Church Street due to Supertram construction. Up to about 1992/3 there was a box on the corner of Church Street and St. James' Row and this was due for removal to allow the Supertram stop to be built outside the Cathedral. It was to go for scrap, but I arranged for Balfour Beatty to keep it one side for preservation either at Crich Tramway Museum or Kelham Island. All was going well until a few days before it was due to be removed, when it was brought to the attention of The Star, who put a photo with someone leaning on it in the paper. Suddenly everyone and their Grandmother was up in arms about saving it. BB removed it and stored it at their depot on Blast Lane, and there it resided. Plans were put forward for it to be used as a switching box for point heaters, but it was deemed as not being up to modern safety standards and eventually it disappeared.

The one currently at the Cathedral appeared a few years later and the reason I don't think it is the same one, is that the original had a wooden box on the side which used to house a telephone handset, so was fairly unique, and the current one shows no signs of where this box would have been attached. Where the original went to, I don't know, but it is a shame if it did actually end up going for scrap.

The box there now possibly came from Prince of Wales Road where one stood unused for years and was only removed in the mid/late '90's.

Nigel L