Stannington college

djemmo

19 hours ago, djemmo said:

Does anyone know when Stannington college opened. I thought it was 1970 but records seem to say 1971.

It must have been 1970. I did a 2 year night school City & Guilds course there starting the first year it was open. 1972 I used the City & Guilds certificate to change my job. The interviewer was impressed because I had a distinction and also had received the year prize! 

I think it was 1970 too. I also did a City & Guilds course there. All the machinery was brand new and a pleasure to use as you would expect.

It would have been January 1970. We transferred over from Newall road and were amongst first intakes, great facilities though soon got fed up of the canteen food so the local pub, Charles Turnbull ? if I'm right, were happy with our custom

1970 I used to go on day release. I used to live at Stannington in those days and go to Deerstalker for pie and peas at lunchtime when I was at college

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:18, djemmo said:

Does anyone know when Stannington college opened. I thought it was 1970 but records seem to say 1971.

I started a 2 year electronics course when it opened and passed the City & Guilds Exam in 1972. As the course ran from September to the following year Stannington college must have opened September 1970 for my certificate to be dated 1972.

I started work in September 1969 , we were enrolled on the g1/2 engineering course at Granville college. we were then moved onto the  electrical tech course ET1 at Stannington  College, we used to go to the Anvil pub for pie and peas and a pint or two.