Esther Edley

jaybird

Hi I am researching my grt grt grandmother Esther born in Rochester New York,Esther married William Edley from England in Rochester New York around 1873, they came to England to live.Does anyone know how I can find out when she became a British citizen?

Regards Jean

1881 census, details from Ancestry.

VIEW

View blank form

Add Alternative Information

Report issue

Name:Esther Edley

Estimated birth year:abt 1855

Relationship to Head:Wife

Spouse:William Edley

Where born:Rochester, United States

Civil Parish:Ecclesall Bierlow

County/Island:Yorkshire

Street address:108 Hill St

Marital Status:Married

Education:

Employment status:

Subscribe now to see this information.

Registration district:Ecclesall Bierlow

ED, institution, or vessel:41

Neighbors:View others on page

Piece:4637

Folio:21

Page Number:36

Household Members:

NameAge

William Edley30

Esther Edley26

William Edley1

Ada Edley5

Grace Edley3

William Edley70

Charlotte Edley72

Hi thanks have the information about 1881census also have the 1891 census which states she is British citizen, I want to know what you have to do to become British citizen in those days. Was hoping to find out information of her family in New York and wondered if in those days they gave information about that to apply to stay in England

regards Jean

The National Archives is a possible place to look for naturalisation records - I found my Danish Gt Grandfather listed (but later, in the 1920s). I haven't accessed the record to see what it contains. Their search engine is here NA Discovery

As you probably know Esther's maiden name was WARNER and they had a son in Ontario in 1874. I see there are some photos of them in a family tree at Ancestry.

Hugh

This from Wiki,

British Nationality and Status of Aliens Act 1914[edit]

This legislation came into force on 1 January 1915 as 4&5 Geo. c.17.[3] British subject status was acquired as follows:

• birth within His Majesty's dominions
  • naturalisation in the United Kingdom or a part of His Majesty's dominions which had adopted Imperial naturalisation criteria
  • descent through the legitimate male line (child born outside His Majesty's dominions to a British subject father). This was limited to one generation although further legislation in 1922 allowed subsequent generations born overseas to be registered as British subjects within one year of birth.
  • foreign women who married British subject men
  • former British subjects who had lost British subject status on marriage or through a parent's loss of status could resume it in specific circumstances (e.g. if a woman became widowed, or children immediately upon turning 21).

British subject status was normally lost by:

• naturalisation in a foreign state, such as the United States of America or France
  • in the case of a woman, upon marriage to a foreign man. Prior to 1933, British subject status was lost even if the woman did not acquire her husband's nationality.
  • a child of a father who lost British subject status, provided the child also had the father's new nationality.
  • renunciation.