Back Edge

Theoldlamplighter

Hi from Oz, anyone recall Bach edge in Parson Cross, near Foxhill school and Halifax Road. What has become of it as it was my first time kissing a young, very young lady on the way home from Foxhill, i was all of eight years old. I lived in Deersland Mount. My best mate was Joe Damms who lived on Halifax Road,all of 70 years ago

Hello - can't help with memories of Back Edge but can help about the area. My Machen and Fearn families lived on Fox Hill Road, Parson Cross Road, Skew Hill and Lapwater. My grandfather and his wife lived opposite the Wadsley Bridge steelworks in the early 1900s (he worked there). His widow (nee Fearn) lived on Parson Cross Road in the 1940-60s (my grandmother). Her father John Fearn was landlord of the Pheasant Inn on Trafalgar Road (he was born there in 1864). My Machen ancestors lived at Lapwater and Skew Hill.

I suggest you look online at the site "picture Sheffield" as they have early images of Fox Hill Road. Then go to Google maps, particularly Street view and you can do a long-distance tour of the area. You'll see that Skew Hill now  boasts a creamatorium! Much of Fox Hill, Midhurst Road and Parson Cross Road look very much how I remember it - but not quite 70 years ago.

Hope this is of use

Andrew

On 9/4/2017 at 01:19, Theoldlamplighter said:

Hi from Oz, anyone recall Bach edge in Parson Cross, near Foxhill school and Halifax Road. What has become of it as it was my first time kissing a young, very young lady on the way home from Foxhill, i was all of eight years old. I lived in Deersland Mount. My best mate was Joe Damms who lived on Halifax Road,all of 70 years ago

I bet most of us ex Chaucer boys will still have fond memories of the Back Edge.  W/E.

I was born in 1948 on Farnley Avenue In lower Parson Cross Road. I went to Parson Cross Junior and Infants School (1954-1960). My best friend at that school was Paul Wiesnieski (now known as Paul Heiney, and seen on tv quite often).

Paul and I regularly used to walk the ‘Back-Edge’ footpath to Wharncliffe Lodge. We joined the path close to Birley Carr Methodist Chapel, (recently closed) or higher up Fox Hill Road through an area which now has a 1970s housing estate on it.  The height of the ‘Back-Edge’ pathway was quite elevated and gave a wonderful views down to Wharncliffe Side and lower Oughtibridge. In the summer briars of blackberry grew close to the pathway giving the chance to pick blackberries or bilberries.  

I have attached a school photograph from about 1954 of my class at Parson Cross School. The second photograph was the attempt by Miss Jones, the school headmistress, to identify some of the names of the children. 

CE1DC3EB-675B-4A66-A901-F79373A0B153.jpeg

13698874-7389-4C33-956B-35D058F2EB68.jpeg

Theoldlamplighter If you say you were in the Parson Cross area 70 years ago from 2017 then the School class photograph I have just posted would have been close to that period.