White Hart

RichardB

The photographer is stood right outside the front door of the shop I lived in during the 1950's. My best mate lived in that pub so spent quite a lot of time in there

The photographer is stood right outside the front door of the shop I lived in during the 1950's. My best mate lived in that pub so spent quite a lot of time in there

Eeeek, a reply lol

Eeeek, a reply lol

When did the knock the old one down and replace with the new one? Same time they built the estate??

When did the knock the old one down and replace with the new one? Same time they built the estate??

If you mean the flats and maisonettes that went up round the White Hart, then no, they were all built around it during the late 50's. Only reason I know was that it was a kids paradise of a playground once the builders had gone home and as it was 1962 when we moved from St Phillips Road, the 'old' White Hart was still standing then. My guess the new pub went up in the late 60's early 70's.

When I lived on Dover Street the people at the shop were called Malluish, not sure how to spell it.

Is that you? They never knocked the White Hart down just modernised it. If you view the picture number S 14965

Dover St on the Sheffield Library Pictures you will see the pub on the end of the road to the left ,blending in with

the new maisonettes and the row of old houses where I lived in the middle one number 23 [never been a pub]

We were the last on the block to go, to be rehoused in 1966. I still carried on using the pub for many years later.

:rolleyes:

When I lived on Dover Street the people at the shop were called Malluish, not sure how to spell it.

Is that you? They never knocked the White Hart down just modernised it. If you view the picture number S 14965

Dover St on the Sheffield Library Pictures you will see the pub on the end of the road to the left ,blending in with

the new maisonettes and the row of old houses where I lived in the middle one number 23 [never been a pub]

We were the last on the block to go, to be rehoused in 1966. I still carried on using the pub for many years later.

:rolleyes:

Yep - that was me - it is Melluish btw - the Bamforths were at the White Hart at that time cus I used to play with the son, Peter. He had a twin sister and an older sister, Gilian I think.

i went in a few times during the late 70's and bumped into one or two of my old mates from Crookesmoor School

Guest plain talker

that section must have been about the last to be cleared. My father's family home was a bit further up the hill, on Fawcett Street, and his grandparents were on Summer Street. My father's family were moved onto the Gleadless Valley in 1957, onto Gaunt Close.

I got a photo from Picture Sheffield, of the clearances in the Summer street area, for my poppa, and he is certain that one of the photos shows the back of his grandparents' house, with the pigeon coits my g-grandpa had in the back yard.

docmel

Did you know the Cammanders, the Bestalls, the Cornthwaites,the Lees or Stewart Stocks

or the Boot family? :o

docmel

Did you know the Cammanders, the Bestalls, the Cornthwaites,the Lees or Stewart Stocks

or the Boot family? :o

I may have done - but I was only about nine when we moved out so cannot remember any names. Only people i recall by name were the Bamforths, who had the White Hart, the Drabbles who lived next door to our shop on St Phillips Road and the Thackereys who were on Cross Hunt Street. I remember the old disabled guy who used to get around on a funny three wheeler, but only reason I can recall that was that he sadly died when his house caught fire.

Yes I remember him, the three wheeler dissable carriage use to look very scary. Didn't Drabbles have a sweet shop

in St Philips Rd just below you on the opposite side?

Yes I remember him, the three wheeler dissable carriage use to look very scary. Didn't Drabbles have a sweet shop

in St Philips Rd just below you on the opposite side?

The three wheeler was scary - all black and shiny like some overgrown insect.

Cannot remember the sweet shop - the only shop i remember opposite was the fish and chip shop. Do you remember Melias food shop down St Phillips road one the corner of Meadow Street - i thought the smells in there were wonderful

lol Yes I remember Melias and also the pie and pea shop a bit higher up.

Do you remember Joe Hudson of the newsagents on Meadow St?

PS The fish and chip shop was Deakins who had one yers laters at Walkey top of South Road

around the corner from the libray, he may still be there.

PS The fish and chip shop was Deakins who had one yers laters at Walkey top of South Road

around the corner from the libray, he may still be there.

That was an excellent chippie, end of Camm Street - has been a private house now for many years (I used to live on Greenhow Street), just across the road from the corner shop (again 20 years gone).

lol Yes I remember Melias and also the pie and pea shop a bit higher up.

Do you remember Joe Hudson of the newsagents on Meadow St?

Yes I remember Joe very well - was a great shop and a great bloke. When i was about three i broke a glass cabinet in our shop and a piece of glass cut me in the face very badly. Joe just happened to be walking past the shop at the time and heard my Gran and Mum both screaming - apparantly he ran in, took one look at the situation, picked me up and ran all the way to the Infirmary. One of my earliest memories is looking up and seeing his face.

Guest sammyopisite

Hi I also lived in Dover Street from around 1950 to 1966 at No.5 our entry was on St.Philips Road below the beer off was a pie shop which also sold tripe and a wool shop then the paper shop which I delivered papers for the chip shop was on the other side was Oxleys and Drabbles sweet shop we lived in the same yard as Harry who lived at the side of the entry.

Hi I also lived in Dover Street from around 1950 to 1966 at No.5 our entry was on St.Philips Road below the beer off was a pie shop which also sold tripe and a wool shop then the paper shop which I delivered papers for the chip shop was on the other side was Oxleys and Drabbles sweet shop we lived in the same yard as Harry who lived at the side of the entry.

Here you go sammyopisite,

taken from map #274 & 275.

Oh! and welcome. :)

Guest davexl5

I may have done - but I was only about nine when we moved out so cannot remember any names. Only people i recall by name were the Bamforths, who had the White Hart, the Drabbles who lived next door to our shop on St Phillips Road and the Thackereys who were on Cross Hunt Street. I remember the old disabled guy who used to get around on a funny three wheeler, but only reason I can recall that was that he sadly died when his house caught fire.

i lived on bellfield st up to age 5 can remember a boy at this shop a little older then me think name of mark?.

i remember a large backyard accessable through an entry behind the shop.

in this yard ihave amemory of a much older boy ,launching one of those rockets that were filled with water and then pumped up untill it shot upwards ,streaming water aged 5 i was most impressed.

i can vaugely remember playing with a boy of about my age ,with diggers and tipper lorries on the buildings opposite our house think they called him boot possibly michael . the bestalls mentioned moved to park hill,as did my familly and a lot of others from that area.

I think the Boots you are talking about could be Philip and Tony who moved to the Manor.

Unless you are talking about their dad whose name I can't recall, I don't know what year

you talking.

Do you remember a Stuart Stocks from Bellefield Street?

Guest davexl5

I think the Boots you are talking about could be Philip and Tony who moved to the Manor.

Unless you are talking about their dad whose name I can't recall, I don't know what year

you talking.

Do you remember a Stuart Stocks from Bellefield Street?

sorry no. i was only 5 when we flitted that was 1960. and a cople of houses near on were allready empty ready for clearance. iremember losing a shoe down one of the empty houses coal grate , and my dad having to brave the rats to retrieve it.these are the vivid memories that stay with you even when you are so young. i also remember tormenting my mam to buy me a bright green toy crossbow,which she did, from the newsagents a bit lower down st philips rd,referred to as crosses, but actually was ran by herbert branwood who also moved onto park hill and ran a succesfull paper shop there.

<!--quoteo(post=27054:date=Nov 12 2008, 12:51 AM:name=docmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (docmel @ Nov 12 2008, 12:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=27054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I may have done - but I was only about nine when we moved out so cannot remember any names. Only people i recall by name were the Bamforths, who had the White Hart, the Drabbles who lived next door to our shop on St Phillips Road and the Thackereys who were on Cross Hunt Street. I remember the old disabled guy who used to get around on a funny three wheeler, but only reason I can recall that was that he sadly died when his house caught fire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i lived on bellfield st up to age 5 can remember a boy at this shop a little older then me think name of mark?.

i remember a large backyard accessable through an entry behind the shop.

in this yard ihave amemory of a much older boy ,launching one of those rockets that were filled with water and then pumped up untill it shot upwards ,streaming water aged 5 i was most impressed.

i can vaugely remember playing with a boy of about my age ,with diggers and tipper lorries on the buildings opposite our house think they called him boot possibly michael . the bestalls mentioned moved to park hill,as did my familly and a lot of others from that area.

That boy called Mark is me mate - and I remember the kid with the water rocket