Can you identify this Sheffield street?

Sheffield History

Sheffield Teddy Boys.jpg

Here's a photo of some Teddy Boys on a Sheffield street but where exactly are they?

Anyone able to identify which street it is?

Is it near Hillsborough?

Could it be looking down onto the Effingham road gasometer and the lad, fourth from the right, looks very much like the late John Beeley.

Don't know anyone on picture but I agree with Lysander, it looks like that is Effingham gas ometer in distance.  I can remember one blowing up a good few years ago Pete

There can't have been too many rows of terraced houses built with such light coloured brickwork...as on right hand side of road....so that might be a help and I don't think Hillsborough had any really large steelworks in its valley, as appears to the right of the gasometer.

As an aside,  the cars appear to be a little too modern for the time of the "authentic" Teds, as do the double (presumably) yellow lines and the hair appears to be a little too long on three of them for them to be authentic 50's Teds where "short back and sides" was the order of the day with National Service around the corner and John Beeley was more of a 60's lad!

Work in progress, but I think the view is across Neepsend towards Rutland Road

Have a look at the 'a' watermark in the sky to the right - looks a little like the old Stanley factory on Rutland Road

Edit - I think I'm wrong, but food for thought anyway...

Had an enjoyable half hour flying over Neepsend care of Air Google

The thing on the left on the skyline keeps me wondering whether it's Hyde Park Flats though

As for date, I'd say mid 60s to mid 70's, the houses feel like they're boarded up, so could be Penistone Road or Parkway related

I don't know the street but I'm pleased I didn't walk down it if that lot were lurking at the end of it!

There was a quite big rock'n'roll revival in the early '70s: old rock'n'roll hits were reissued, acts like Haley, Chuck Berry  and Jerry Lee toured Britain and drew big crowds (and unfortunately Chuck recorded his Ding-a-Ling during one such tour) so perhaps the photo dates from that era.

Same group of  people and a few names ..

tedd.jpg

tedd2.jpg

Teddy Boys Picnic: Back Line - Rockin Jim Newark (29) Boppin Brian Dixon (19) Jumpin John Hunter (20) Rockin Ron Lewis (19) Alan the Jet Duel (22). Front. - Laurie the Lar Bell (22) Mick Rankin Pink Panther (26) Chris Crazy Legs Magee (23).

22 minutes ago, lysander said:

Wonderful stuff...but do we know the name of the street?

To be honest, I'm not convinced that any of them were taken in Sheffield, but could be wrong.

If anyone fancies investing £12 on Alamy for the hi-res copy of the photo, the background would probably be a lot clearer and maybe provide some more clues? I had a go at filtering the image through Photoshop, but a 200kb preview image just hasn't got the pixel count to withstand any enhancement. It just breaks down into blurry blocks and is of no use.

For the record, I still think it's the Neepsend gasometer, just for the fact of the hills each side and the others across the city don't have the same geography. Effingham Road, Wincobank, even Hillsborough..... I desperately wanted the building across the valley to be Stanley Tools Woodside, but it's never had that many storeys of white facade - just the extension....... or maybe as you say, it's not Sheffield?

I can't get low enough in Google to check the skyline, but here's my latest gambit

The lads are on Mount Street (no longer exists) just above Neepsend Station

The monolith on the horizon on the left is The Hallamshire, the one on the (actually over the) horizon under the A is the Hallam Towers

Though I'm having my doubts again...

Further investigation indicates to me that the gasholder in shot is the one on Back Mitford Street and the tower block on the right is Newcastle College on Maple Terrace as seen on bing maps.

This would place the teddy boys in the area of Lower Cuthbert Street in Gateshead. Most of this area has been obliterated and replaced by new housing and new roads.

A couple of photos of Lower Cuthbert Street as it was can be seen on this page. The houses look a bit different, but there were several streets running parallel to this one.

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 22:28, madannie77 said:

And from which I find this:

https://www.mirrorpix.com/?11808328521720195614&MEDIANUMBER=00264843

which suggests that it is Gateshead.

Well done  madannie77 this has been discussed before on this site some years ago and I was convinced it was a view of Neepsend / Rutland road but the more I studied it the more I changed my mind.

Thank you , we can all sleep again tonight.

On 03/09/2017 at 21:17, Sheffield History said:

Sheffield Teddy Boys.jpg

Here's a photo of some Teddy Boys on a Sheffield street but where exactly are they?

Anyone able to identify which street it is?

Is it near Hillsborough?

Is that Barry Chuckle in the middle? ?