Corn Exchange Car Park

southside

Can anyone help me put a name to the work/shop circled in these photograph`s, also the name of the road going up by the righthand side of the building.

I remember going to replace a wc pan at this work/shop when i was a 17 year old apprentice, the plumber i was apprentice to parked his van in the car park, handed me the wc pan and pointed out the shop and said tec it ort rooard and then come back for mi tools.

One embarressed 17 year old with his head down, carrying a wc pan across Sheaf Street.

Also a photograph of the area taken before the building of the Corn Exchange.

Corn Exchange 1.jpg

Corn Exchange 2.jpg

Corn Exchange 3.jpg

Corn Exchange 4.jpg

I'll start with the road, if I have my angles right that is still Broad Street which did or still does cross Sheaf Street and terminates at the bottom of Dixon Lane by the Norfolk Arms.

Thanks Guys.  That`s the shop boginspro, though i don`t remember it being a newsagents, and i didn`t realise the road was the continuation of Broad Lane.

Does that say LNER on the three wheeler truck behind the lorry in the bottom photograph?

2 hours ago, southside said:

Thanks Guys.  That`s the shop boginspro, though i don`t remember it being a newsagents, and i didn`t realise the road was the continuation of Broad Lane.

Does that say LNER on the three wheeler truck behind the lorry in the bottom photograph?

Looks like LNER to me, I think both LMS and LNER railways ran those Scammel mechanical horses in Sheffield.

If you don't mind telling us what year you were 17 we may be able to pinpoint what business was in the building that year, could it be one of those shown by  RLongden ?

That would be 1963.  I think in the same year we started some pre construction preparation work, ie water supply for the new BHS on Haymarket, the site entrance was on Dixon Lane.

Well that rules out any photo's with Castlefolds Market on them, I believe it was demolished in 1961, but  not necessarily the building occupants.

I've sifted through more photos of that specific corner of Broad Street / Sheaf Street and found some from 1963/64.

Although the first two have the building just out of shot, tantalisingly to the left of the Austin 1100 and the black guy with the trilby, the last one shows the corner building as it was at that time (the building visible above and just to the right of the roof of the Reliant Regal van).

it appears to be a tall building with a pitched roof and roller shutters on the windows? Is that more like the building you recall  'southside'?

I would imagine that by the time of the 1973 photo, where the newsagents shop stands on the corner, this may have been a later building, replacing the earlier structure that may have been demolished, along with most of the other buildings in the 'Rag-and-Tag'? The 1970’s buildings in that immediate area all seem a little 'pre-fab' and would be gone too within 2-3 years of that photo being taken....

IMG_2875.PNG

IMG_2876.PNG

IMG_2877.JPG