Butler's Cafe

History dude

A photo of the staff of Butler's Cafe, which my father says was on St Philips Road. The building might still be around, though under a new name of course. 

Butler's Cafe Staff.jpg

1 hour ago, History dude said:

A photo of the staff of Butler's Cafe, which my father says was on St Philips Road. The building might still be around, though under a new name of course. 

Butler's Cafe Staff.jpg

I think this would be the Butlers Cafe at the top of Brook Hill which I used regularly when I lived in Sheffield. It was the best meal around, just like home cooking.

St Philip's Road seemed to disappear with modern development but I think it the cafe was originally on the corner of  St Philip's Road and Brook Hill.

I think there was a fire and it had to be demolished. There is a Butlers Balti further down the road now ? near to Garden Street

Was often in Butlers, great place...Joe's cafe across the street & around the corner(opposite Jessops)was better though, at least his breakfasts were, lunchtime Butlers probably had the edge.

When Joe's moved to Broomhall it wasn't quite as good but still OK, the working girls used have afternoon tea in there..lol....no one bothered them as they were on a break.

On 29/08/2017 at 10:20, Lyn 1 said:

I think there was a fire and it had to be demolished. There is a Butlers Balti further down the road now ? near to Garden Street

It was demolished due to the incompetence of some builders, as discussed in this topic from a few years ago.

I used to go in Butlers all through the 70s Steve the owner was about in his 50s at the time he said his father Steve had started the business in the 1800s. Anyone who remembers Butlers will remember the Desperate Dan meat and potato pies that were in the window in aluminium bowls about 15" across and 12" deep, they used to be several in the window and the assistants used to take them from the window to give you a portion with peas or veg etc. There was no where else like Butlers in Sheffield a truly original café. The kitchens where underneath in the basement and the counter assistant would shout your order down a miniature lift shaft that worked with a rope and weight from kitchen upto serving area.. If you needed the toilets you had to go down stairs and through the kitchens where you would see all the ancient hand machines etc. etc for making pastry etc. yeah a brilliant place to visit and memories I've never forgotten. Steve was a great guy who never turned away a less fortunate elderly person and would give them a serving of soup in the back room. I was sad to see it pass on to an Indian restaurant but I have to say in my opinion the new Butlers Restaurant just down the road is truly superb food and owners..Great that they carried the name on.

p1020007-butlers-dining-rooms.jpg

Was on Brook Hill not the corner. I knew the last of the Butlers, Steve, used to be a member of the Sheffield BSAC and hosted the club every year to a pea and pie supper. Agreed best meat and potato pie I ever had. Building collapsed a few years ago 

Some time Sheffield Council leader, George Wilson, had a small upholstery business in the area  and could be found , most days, having a bite to eat in Butler's....young, aspiring journalists found George at his most informative ( off the record of course) over a pot of tea with him there!.

Early 70's. Had my breakfast every morning at 6am at home on Wallace Road, Parkwood Springs, Neepsend every morning, got on 650 Triumph T110, got to work at Proctors Transport Removals for 7.30am on the Canal Warf. Got into an Albion Claymore (C. 1950's) removal van, first stop Butlers (no matter which way in the UK we were going) for a wholesome 2nd breakfast. And we needed it to hump folk's furniture about for the rest of the day, not knowing whether a mid day meal was going to happen wherever we went. Wonderful memories of busted fingers and a bad back and power cuts. But Butlers was the place to be first thing every workday morning (for me anyway).