OK Diner at Wadsley Bridge on Halifax Road

Sheffield History

5972032f-900c-4bd7-a315-3b49c0a864a8.jpg

our-first-visit-to-grantham.jpg

Does anyone remember the OK Diner on KIlner Way at Wadsley Bridge?

An American diner type experience it didn't do very well. (Not sure why as never went in which might tell you part of the problem!)

I remember the day it got literally lifted up and put on the back of a huge lorry and drove away which was a site to see

Think they just picked the wrong location If they'd have put it at Meadowhall for example am sure it would still be there today

I guess they just didn't do their research

I always wanted to go in but never did. 

Ive since been to the one on the A19 near Hartlepool and its ok, but not amazing and certainly not as good as a real American dinner.

There’s one on the A1 near Newark and something very similar on the A38 close to Burton on Trent  

We went in a couple of times, probably mid 80s?

It was OK but I got the impression it was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't think Sheffield folk were ready for it.

I remember it.  Didn't go in that one but went in others as I was a shareholder in their parent company (Whitbread, perhaps, can't remember) and got 50% off.  I liked them (especially at half price) and they were a fair imitation of US diners.

There was a wonderful American style Diner in Meadowhall. It didn't last for too long either ( although it always seemed busy when I went)!🤥

On 27/07/2020 at 15:58, lysandernovo said:

There was a wonderful American style Diner in Meadowhall. It didn't last for too long either ( although it always seemed busy when I went)!🤥

There was Ed’s Easy Diner in the Oasis at Meadowhall, which closed down maybe three years ago? We used to enjoy going there occasionally as it did some great GF (gluten free) options, but I seem to remember them being squeezed out by Meadowhall reassigning their lease, forcing them to close.

https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/disappointment-shoppers-popular-meadowhall-restaurant-forced-close-841243

We still eat at Ed’s from time-to-time, as they have restaurants in Nottingham Victoria Centre, Cheshire Oaks and York Designer Outlet.

..... just waiting for someone to tell me this is not history and I should be posting this on Tripadvisor! 😆

16E7363D-35BE-409E-9F5B-993B8FB07542.jpeg

Sounds like the place but I thought the diner I was referring to closed much longer than 3 years ago..They had a nice 50's style American limousine parked outside and the staff would , occasionally,dance on the central table top after being invited to be the "ersatz?" American DJ. The name "Ed" doesn't ring a bell.... "American Diner".....sounds more like it😷

On 02/08/2020 at 16:28, lysandernovo said:

Sounds like the place but I thought the diner I was referring to closed much longer than 3 years ago..They had a nice 50's style American limousine parked outside and the staff would , occasionally,dance on the central table top after being invited to be the "ersatz?" American DJ. The name "Ed" doesn't ring a bell.... "American Diner".....sounds more like it😷

Yes. The Rock Island Diner was fab. Used to take my kids there regularly in the years shortly after Meadowhall opened. 

They loved the food, the music and the show that the waiters and waitresses put on. What’s not to like when you’re about 10 ??

Wasnt the cab outside the one that graced Barton’s on Glossop Rd at one time or am I wrong ?