The tall walls outside the Peace Gardens

Sheffield History

df2c7b552c6c5ab1b9a037de876cbbf1.jpg

Here's a photo of some punks crossing the road outside the Peace Gardens in Sheffield city centre.

What struck me most though was the tall grim wall that used to separate the Peace Gardens with the bus shelters 

They created a really gloomy feeling from what I remember 

Ps check out how smart the family is at the bus stop!

Was it the original wall that surrounded the grounds of St. Paul's church?

Either way, I hated the wall as a kid.  As you say - very gloomy.

I  seem to remember the original wooden bus /tram stop structure added a touch of class to the city centre( you can just make it out on the John Heath publicity )...the utilitarian metal structures that replaced them were a poor substitute.

18 hours ago, lysander said:

I  seem to remember the original wooden bus /tram stop structure added a touch of class to the city centre( you can just make it out on the John Heath publicity )...the utilitarian metal structures that replaced them were a poor substitute.

I too thought they added a touch of class and was somewhat disappointed when they were removed. I was reassured at the time by reading that they were carefully dismantled to be placed in storage, refurbished as required and reused. Over the years I have looked in vain for their reappearance.

LS

On 29/08/2017 at 14:05, Lou Scannon said:

I too thought they added a touch of class and was somewhat disappointed when they were removed. I was reassured at the time by reading that they were carefully dismantled to be placed in storage, refurbished as required and reused. Over the years I have looked in vain for their reappearance.

LS

This is not the first time I have heard this but with another Sheffield icon ........some of you may remember the fountain that was in Barkers Pool - the centre was a quite distinctive stainless steel ball. When the area was rebuilt there was talk of the fountain being stored etc etc.....and I think reading, maybe in the other Sheffield Forum, that somone had been round a Sheffield Council warehouse and saw it, in bits. I cannot swear to the validity of that last statement but it makes me think - does such an "Indiana Jones Lost Ark" warehouse exist ??

There's an awful lot of stuff in store at Kelham Island that's not displayed  so its quite possible bits and pieces of dismantled features are there.

The standard imperial and metric measures were erected in 1910 to commemorate the meeting in Sheffield, that year, of the British Association. They are grade2 listed and are of brass I seem to remember and not steel which would rust ( stainless/rustless steel had yet to be invented in 1910!) Looking at a photo they would appear to be of bronze.

1 hour ago, lysander said:

The standard imperial and metric measures were erected in 1910 to commemorate the meeting in Sheffield, that year, of the British Association. They are grade2 listed and are of brass I seem to remember and not steel which would rust ( stainless/rustless steel had yet to be invented in 1910!)

Were they removed and placed on other side of gardens, next to town hall

14 hours ago, Meersbrook said:

I don't live in Sheffield now. Maybe someone can enquire ?

19 hours ago, Meersbrook said:

They were moved from St Pauls Parade to Cheney Row in 1998 according to a plaque photographed by SteveHB some time ago:

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_11_2010/post-188-090150700 1288803624.jpg

For some reason I have never photographed the plaque despite walking past it many times in recent years. Something else to do next time I am in Sheffield, I suppose.

In the early 50's as one of the OS Surveyors working on the 1/1250 plans, I used the standards to check  tapes and chains to verify their accuracy. Some time ago, looking through earlier posts, I found they had been moved to Cheney Row from the site at St Paul's Parade  which I used. Glad to know they haven't disappeared!