Tram in 1912 on Batley Street, (now Crabtree Close)

boginspro

Has anyone have information about this tram' track at the end of Batley Street/Crabtree Close please? It looks to me like a short side track for short runners but that is just a guess as I have never seen anything about trams on there before.    Image (c) Picture Sheffield              --------------------            http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t00230&pos=3&action=zoom&id=30748

Tram No. 149, around 1912, at junction of Batley Street and Barnsley Road, Crabtree Lane.jpg

Is there a Sheffield Map / Street View photo of what it looks like now?

Am guessing the building front left will still be there?

10 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Crabtree Close Sheffield.jpg

Think I found it - is this the place?

That's it, Crabtree Close which was previously called  Batley Street, the picture is the only reference I have ever seen of a tram track on there.

11 hours ago, boginspro said:

That's it, Crabtree Close which was previously called  Batley Street, the picture is the only reference I have ever seen of a tram track on there.

There was a very old cottage on the right hand corner that was demolished in the early 1970s. I delivered milk there and sometimes invited inside for a cuppa. We would often talk about the old tram terminus, apparently trams terminated there because the road down to Fir Vale was considered too steep and dangerous.  W/E.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Waterside Echo said:

There was a very old cottage on the right hand corner that was demolished in the early 1970s. I delivered milk there and sometimes invited inside for a cuppa. We would often talk about the old tram terminus, apparently trams terminated there because the road down to Fir Vale was considered too steep and dangerous.  W/E.

Thanks for that information, I really didn't think anyone would come up with anything on this one.

20 hours ago, Waterside Echo said:

Postscript to the above.  From September 1899 d/d trams ran to Osgathorpe road, [Batley Street], only s/d trams ran all the way to Page Hall.  Batley Street siding opened August 1902. Tram 149 in the photo had a roof fitted in 1903, so photo must have been taken late 1902.  From January 22nd 1905 all trams were safe enough to run through to Page Hall. Batley Street  siding was then no longer used.      Courtesy Sheffield Transport,   Chas. C. Hall.   W/E.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2017 at 18:43, Waterside Echo said:

Postscript to the above.  From September 1899 d/d trams ran to Osgathorpe road, [Batley Street], only s/d trams ran all the way to Page Hall.  Batley Street siding opened August 1902. Tram 149 in the photo had a roof fitted in 1903, so photo must have been taken late 1902.  From January 22nd 1905 all trams were safe enough to run through to Page Hall. Batley Street  siding was then no longer used.      Courtesy Sheffield Transport,   Chas. C. Hall.   W/E.

Strangely, this information seems to not aline with the few OS maps for the area I've been able to check. 

There is no sign of the siding on the 1906 map; it then features on the 1923 map; and has disappeared once more by the 1935 map. 

A bit confusing, really. I have no doubt the information Waterside Echo has provided, however the OS maps showing different periods for this siding is rather odd.