WIMPY BURGER in Sheffield city centre

Sheffield History

s23723.jpg

s23312.jpg

s31313.jpg

Trying to find all the locations of WIMPY BURGER or WIMPY BAR's in Sheffield City Centre

Have found two or three but can you remember any of the others?

Yeah in that case most definitely. It might have been the one to last the longest too as I remember it being there for aaaaaages before closing down

As well as hamburgers, Wimpy was the home of "Bender - The meaty Frankfurter", not the greatest choice of name, and "Shanty - The golden fish fillet".

Sadly, Shanty’s and Delta’s no longer exist on the menu, but “Bender’s are still there...

http://www.wimpy.uk.com/images/downloads/Menu/2017/LunchMenu_2017.pdf

Currently, the only Wimpy for miles around is in the Rotherham Super Bowl, on Wortley Road.

Odd place to be clinging on and surprised they are still in existence, given the utter domination of McD’s and BK?

Great to see the old menu. I had a Saturday job at Wimpy at the bottom of Cambridge Street in the 60's. My job was to clear the tables and wash the dishes and on a few occasions I got to cook the burgers. Two of my daughters also had jobs there in the 80's/90's. Brings back memories....

The one on Fargate changed from being just a restaurant to a fast food takeaway similar to McDonalds / Burger King (which it later became) I remember being served a Wimpey Half Pounder by Elliot Kennedy before his music producing days :)

On 08/04/2018 at 08:29, RLongden said:

Sadly, Shanty’s and Delta’s no longer exist on the menu, but “Bender’s are still there...

http://www.wimpy.uk.com/images/downloads/Menu/2017/LunchMenu_2017.pdf

Currently, the only Wimpy for miles around is in the Rotherham Super Bowl, on Wortley Road.

Odd place to be clinging on and surprised they are still in existence, given the utter domination of McD’s and BK?

Not the same company.  Before Wimpy as we knew it closed, it became part of United Biscuits, who eventually got the Burger King franchise in the UK.  They rebranded all their restaurants - by that time Wimpy were selling a more "traditional" US style menu anyhow - and Wimpy disappeared.  It's owned by a totally different parent company these days, and the menu is nowt like either the original one or their later, transitional version.  

As for Burger King, I think that's changed hands a few times since then, too.

If you're sufficiently interested, there's some info on Wikipedia... and some of it is actually correct!  😄