Sign in to follow this  
Sheffield History

WOOLWORTHS shops in Sheffield

3862927670_3b51f509fe_b.jpg

3505620076_f01784f144_b.jpg

3229352940_54361c0442_z.jpg

Everyone remembers Woolworths shops in Sheffield. With it's pick and mix and music counter. Sadly Woolworths is no more in Sheffield and they've all disappeared after the chain went bust. 

But where was your favourite Woolworths and what do you remember buying from there?

Definitely the old one on Haymarket before they moved into the one the other side of Dixon Lane in the Castle Market development. It was pictured in this thread       -------------------     

-------------------              and if you look at the picture of the Pick 'n Mix counter you may imagine why it was my favourite. 

• Upvote 1

I am pretty sure there was one at Attercliife just below Banners, there was also a Woolworths in Meadowhall, I think it just sold music and possibly children's clothes.

Woolies had their own record label till about 1965. It was called Embassy. They were mainly cover acts singing the latest pop tunes. If anyone has one in their record collection you know for certain it was purchased originally there as they were sold nowhere else. Many of them are now highly sort after especially the rock and roll covers and the Beatles covers. 

I remember buying records from the one near the Castle Market around 1977. They also sold hi-fi equipment such as music centres. I remember some were on power and you could press the buttons on them. Some used to have loud switching thumps from the speakers! They sold a lot of Waltham equipment, some Hittachi. 

The girls that worked the record store counters became well known for either being very bright or very stupid. You would ask for a certain record and they would say never heard of that. Or "it's not in the chart".

On the other hand somebody would go in and whistle a tune at them and be given the correct record! That happened a lot in the 80's when people who had been on holiday abroad would whistle the tunes they had heard on holiday, but had no idea what it was or who sang it. Saturday Night by Whigfield was rumoured to have reached the number one on that basis!

Woollies retained gas lighting in many of their stores for years as an alternative source of lighting. The wire mesh covered glass  light bowls were a feature of all the older shops. No one would ever bring an Embassy record with them to a teenage 1960's style "party"  out of embarrassment...that they are now sought after just shows how times change.