Sign in to follow this  
Sheffield History

PAULDENS Department Store in Sheffield City Centre

s27838.jpg

s18081.jpg

Looking for information and memories of PAULDENS department store in Sheffield City Centre.

On the site of Debenhams, Pauldens seems to have been really popular but what was it like inside? What was it like to shop and work there?

How often did you go there?

When did Pauldens close and change to Debenhams and why?

Anyone know?

Paulden's was bought out by Debenhams c 1970 (give or take a year or so). My Mum worked there from 1968 to 1980 and it was definitely Paulden's when she started (think the store opened in 1965). Another place with a decent enough eatery (on the ground floor at the back of the store) called the "Derwent Restaurant". There was also a posh cafe type place on the second floor where the Dore and Totley mob used to go!

My mum also worked there over the Paulden’s/Debenhams change and up to about 1985. May Wood, worked latterly in the lingerie dept.

Hello all, often used to call in Pauldens in my early working years in town. It was known as quite the 'in' store at the time, very light, spacous and colourful, seemed to keep up with the 'trends'. I remember a cafe downstairs, seem to think it had a large picture on the wall. Bought my first dress there for a works do. Navy with white spots, white lace collar and cuffs, cost £4.10.11( thats £4 -10shillings -11 pence for you youngsters ) Saved up to buy it, don't know how I only earned £4.10.6 a week, Mum had £2, and the rest went on bus fare, dinner and toiletries. But I managed it, remember Mum saying it looked lovely on me, ah! Used to get AQUA MANDA from their perfume dept, it was lovely, really did smell of Orange Blossom. Got my last ever bottle from there.

They also had a food hall on the ground floor (to the left as you entered from The Moor, I recall.

Worked there as a Saturday boy probably 1969 or 1970. Worked in the food hall stocking up the shelves eventually got to work on the sweet counter. Can't remember anybody's name apart from Mr Stevenson who was the manager of the food hall and a strict disciplinarian! Got told off for filling up the frozen sprouts with bags of Birds Eye sprouts instead of the cheap ones. Remember going to the staff canteen for afternoon break and listening to the football scores on an old radio they had up there