COCKAYNES Department Store in Sheffield city centre

Sheffield History

Sheffield History

arc00297.jpg

arc00283.jpg

Cockaynes Shop Sheffield.jpg

image.jpg

Need help with information about Cockaynes Department Store in Sheffield. Where was Cockaynes based originally and what buildings did they open stores at in Sheffield?

Anyone who used to work at Cockaynes - what was it like? What staff do you remember?

Anyone got any memories of Cockaynes Department Store in Sheffield City Centre?

• Sheffield History changed the title to COCKAYNES Department Store in Sheffield city centre
20 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

arc00297.jpg

arc00283.jpg

Cockaynes Shop Sheffield.jpg

image.jpg

Need help with information about Cockaynes Department Store in Sheffield. Where was Cockaynes based originally and what buildings did they open stores at in Sheffield?

Anyone who used to work at Cockaynes - what was it like? What staff do you remember?

Anyone got any memories of Cockaynes Department Store in Sheffield City Centre?

My great grandma was Sarah Ellen Cockayne but I don't think she ever worked in the store. 

Sheffield History
6 minutes ago, Jax Ayers said:

My great grandma was Sarah Ellen Cockayne but I don't think she ever worked in the store. 

Oooh interesting! 

Was she the owner of the company etc?

They used to have a more than decent restaurant upstairs, ate there as a kid many a time when Mum took us shopping downtown. Was also next to the ABC cinema which could be handy!

Interesting because the picture shows it as being rebuilt in 1955, but I always thought it was rebuilt in the 60's unless I'm getting confused with Walsh's (later Rackham's and House of Fraser) across the road.

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 04:43, Leonr2z said:

They used to have a more than decent restaurant upstairs, ate there as a kid many a time when Mum took us shopping downtown. Was also next to the ABC cinema which could be handy!

Interesting because the picture shows it as being rebuilt in 1955, but I always thought it was rebuilt in the 60's unless I'm getting confused with Walsh's (later Rackham's and House of Fraser) across the road.

I started work in 1959 and used to cycle to work. Both Cockaynes and Walsh's were built by then. Walsh's used a building at Broomhill after their store was bombed until the new one was built.

William Cockayne 1806-1884, his wife and 1 of his children are buried at Norton Cemetery, Derbyshire Ln. They lived at Lees House, Norton Lees. 

There are other members of the family nearby in same cemetery

Norton Cemetery, Sect E Grave 7, Cockayne, Edward Shepherd, William, Mary nee (1).JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Cockayne's was one of the first stores to be rebuilt after the War ( apart from temporary structures) My sister-in-law worked there on the cosmetics counter from 1959 and she always talked fondly of her time there. The Cockayne family were engaged in several local retail businesses including the tobacco and wine merchants, White Favell and Cockayne...whose sherry "Hallamshire Cream" was really quite good.

Unitedite Returns

There is quite a good abbreviated history on the Picture Sheffield website, of which the following is a condensed version. T. B. and W. Cockaynes Limited. The original building on the site shown was completely destroyed, during the Sheffield Blitz of December 1940, although the company continued to trade, using various premises in the centre of Sheffield, and were able to reopen the first phase of a new store on the site of the original blitzed building, in 1949. The final phase of rebuilding was completed in 1955. In 1972, the business was taken over by Schofields (Leeds) Ltd, and the name changed to Schofields. Closure came in November 1982.

• 2 years later...
babafearn1

I worked at Schofields , TV & Audio department from 1979 to 1981 , we were in the building that was attached later with the car park.I loved it there 

I left to work at Schofields in Leeds .