What sweets did you buy in Sheffield when you were a kid?

Sheffield History

I don't think I ever bought Jap Desserts but my granddad always had some for me & my sister when we went to visit him. I loved them then but I probably wouldn't like them now.

jap-desserts_1_1.jpg

On 26 August 2017 at 13:43, Sheffield History said:

6865902193_48c4784749_b.jpg

Hell yeah!!

Used to luv caramac as a kid,,,found some recently, didn't realize it was still around

tasted like soap,horrible

During the week, Penny Arrow toffee bars, Jamboree Bags if I was rich (e.g. after Uncle Frank, lovely man and adept dispenser of half-crowns, had been to visit),  and an odd little item called Car-Tin, like a tiny shoe-polish tin with a picture of a car on top and lots of tiny, strong pieces of liquorice inside.

On Saturdays, it town shopping with parents, on the way back to the car park we would always call in a marvellous sweet shop more of less opposite the Lyceum Theatre. I'm sure I bought a variety of confectionery there, but the one which sticks in my mind is Peter's Milk Chocolate with its brown wrapper, I don't think it was on sale in many places, and it was very more-ish..

I once met Arthur Haynes in that shop (and got his autograph) when he was appearing at the Lyceum.

On 9/5/2017 at 01:14, lysander said:

Bassets made Liquorice Allsorts( Bertie Basset became their trade mark) and Pontefract ( sometimes called Pomfret) cakes...although the best ones were made in Pontefract where liquorice root had been grown

I worked at Bassets for a short summer stint. Never ate one since.

15 hours ago, Athy said:

During the week, Penny Arrow toffee bars, Jamboree Bags if I was rich (e.g. after Uncle Frank, lovely man and adept dispenser of half-crowns, had been to visit),  and an odd little item called Car-Tin, like a tiny shoe-polish tin with a picture of a car on top and lots of tiny, strong pieces of liquorice inside.

On Saturdays, it town shopping with parents, on the way back to the car park we would always call in a marvellous sweet shop more of less opposite the Lyceum Theatre. I'm sure I bought a variety of confectionery there, but the one which sticks in my mind is Peter's Milk Chocolate with its brown wrapper, I don't think it was on sale in many places, and it was very more-ish..

I once met Arthur Haynes in that shop (and got his autograph) when he was appearing at the Lyceum.

Thought they were also known as 'nipits', very strong!

You could be right, Voldy, though I don't remember them under that name.

I am not sure if anyone has yet mentioned the sweets which were immensely popular when I was a boy, but which seem to have disappeared now: Spangles.

Black Jacks; Fruit Salads—all 4 a penny (1d that is). Sherbet Saucers, Jubblys [spelling?]; Sweet Cigarettes; Sherbet Dips (with a liquorice 'stick' in the centre). Bootlaces. Catherine Wheels with the liquorice coil round Basset coated jelly in the middle. Dolly Mixture. Lemon Drops. Penny Arrow Bars. Chiclets; Fizzers; Parma Violets.

These are all imprinted on my memory, even the taste and smell. Having said that I didn't really eat that many in total. No more than a few pence worth a week.     

Nut logs,Toffee logs Whirligigs all tasted like they were out of date but my favourite was Yorkshire mixture trying to put the big fish in my mouth whole. 

Miffa, I had not heard of Caramac for years either - but last week Mrs. Athy and I visited the Hatton Shopping Village in Warwickshire. One of the stores is a traditional sweetshop and, lo! and behold, they had Caramac bars in stock. I just had to buy one; unfortunately, I agree with you regarding the (lack of) flavour. It wasn't unpleasant but I wouldn't cross the road to buy another one.

OK late 50s/early 60s

Fruit salad (4-a-penny chews), Lion bars, sweet cigs, Refreshers, sherbet dip with liqoirice stick, cinder toffee, Spangles, Rowntrees fruit gums, jelly babies, Jubbly (later).

My elder brother got more pocket money and used to save up for chocolate (6d, I think). I used to walk to school to save the penny tram fare and went for the instant hit!

Brilliant! One of my favourite subjects Sweets. When I was at Fulwood Infant School, there was a little Hut Shop down the hill on the way home, it sold a bit of everything and kiddies sweets, so we all went in there. Then opposite Nether Green Junior school was a Sweet Shop with a counter packed with loads of 'em. Some of the sweets sold then you can still get today, but it's fun remembering what we used to buy. I've searched my brain archive for this list. Enjoy!             Aniseed Balls-Aniseed Rock-Bar Six-Black Jacks-Blubird Toffee-Bulls Eyes Gob Stoppers-Buttersnap Cadbury's Bliss Bar ( their ad quote was "6pence worth of heaven" ) Candy Cigaretts-Candy Letters-Candy Necklaces Candy Foam Bananas & Shrimps-Cherry Lips-Choc Cigars-Choc Mice-Coconut Tobacco-Cola Bottles Coltsfoot Rock-Drumstick Lollipops-Firemens Hoses-Five Boys Choc Bar-Flying Saucers-Fruit Salad Liquorice Nips-Liquorice Pontefract Cakes-Liquorice Root-Liquorice Swirls-Liquorice Torpedoes-Love Hearts-Lucky Bags ( had a mix of sweets and a toy in ) Milk Bottles-Opal Fruits ( their ad quote was "made to make your mouth water" ) Parma Violets-Peanut Brittle-Penny Arrow Bar-Pineapple Cubes-Polo Fruits-Rainbow Buttons-Rainbow Drops-Rainbow Crystals-Red Laces-Refreshers Pack & Lollipop-Rhubarb & Custart boiled sweet-Rice Paper  Satin Pillows-Sherbet Dab-Sherbet Fountain-Sherbet Lemons boiled sweet-Sherbet Pips-Spangles-Squirrel Nuts-Strawberry & Cream boiled sweet-Sweet Fish boiled sweet-Swizzle Lollipop.   At Christmas we had = Choc Coins-Sugar Mice-Sugared Almonds,  and hanging tree decorations = Choc Father Christmas-Choc Snowmen  Choc Trees-Choc Umbrellas cone shaped, hanging by a hooked plastic handle. I do remember lots of other sweets, but not that I would usually buy, or had the money to. Our real Christmas treat was a tin of Quality Street and a box of Elizabeth Shaws Mint Crisp chocolates.                            

I've just remembered Love Hearts, on sale when I was at Gleadless primary school. These were heart-shaped sugary hard sweets with a motto embossed on each one, such as "You are a big Flirt". Boys did not buy these, but GURLS (chiz mone drone) used to buy a paper bag of them and hand them round to the boys, so that they could watch our embarrassed faces when we picked out one which said "Kiss me quick" or some such. Gosh, girls seemed so soppy when one was ten years old.

EDIT: apparently they are still made (and by the same company) but now carry such messages as Skype Me, Take A Selfie and the incomprehensible YOLO. Oh dear. I suppose the yoof like them.

Pineapple Chunks, the longer you kept them in their paper bag in your pocket, more of the bag stuck to them when you wanted to eat them, five or ten minutes trying to remove the paper eventually you gave up and ate what bits of paper were refusing to budge . 

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 01:07, Voldy said:

Thought they were also known as 'nipits', very strong!

The ones we used to buy were called Little Imps in a little box with black and red writing on.

Chewing nuts, Tiffin chocolate with raisins and bits if biscuit, Lovely. Liquorice roots, tasty nearly as bad as the chewy nuts, but hey back then we wanted a sweet that lasted a long time as they were few and far between. Even now chocolate is my guilty secret. Probably why I love it so much. When the Post Ofiice closed or stopped selling sweets the shop keeper gave all the old stock to my dad.Yes all the sweets were stuck together and Health  and Safety were have had a field day. We thought we were rich.

Loved Caramac, it was my favourite, Munchies, Toffos, lucky bags, Penny Arrow Bars, any type of Sherbert that you could buy buy the ounce, the list is endless. 

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 08:27, Oscar said:

Loved Caramac, it was my favourite, Munchies, Toffos, lucky bags, Penny Arrow Bars, any type of Sherbert that you could buy buy the ounce, the list is endless. 

I loved Caramac but I tasted some of my grandson's last year and it was horrible, not made like I remember it. They still do Munchies I think, well I've seen Munchies Easter eggs but what about Toffos do they still do them, I love them. I remember Archie Andrews ice lollies they seemed creamy but not exactly ice cream.

I remember aged maybe 6yrs old playing in the playground of the infant school, back in the 70's. There was a girl playing hopscotch and unbeknown to her a Banjo chocolate bar fell out of her pocket as she jumped. My mate quickly picked it up and we ran off to the other end of the playground and shared it between us.

BANJO.jpg