What sweets did you buy in Sheffield when you were a kid?

Sheffield History

914XgQSpKiL._SL1500_.jpg

Right then let's see what sweets we used to buy back in the day that are no longer around

I remember Toffos (am pretty sure they had flavoured ones and not just toffee flavour?)

Stop Gap, Nudge, Fry's Chocolate Creme (again I'm sure they did these in various flavours?, Bazooka bubble gum, Blackjack chews (thinks these were a bit racist?), Fruit Salads, Double Dip, Rainbow Drops etc

And do you remember those sweet cigarette packs you could buy as a kid that had cigarette sweets in them? White with red on the end so you could pretend it was lit whilst you 'smoked' them. remember the longer you kept them in your mouth pretending to smoke them the soggier they got and sometimes the end would drop off and onto the floor!

Anyone remember any of those?

I'd say Cola Cubes and Pineapple Cubes but pretty sure they are still sold today?

There's retro sweets still available HERE in packs like the one above if anyone's desperate to rekindle their sweety youth!

Get them here

Unknown-2.jpeg

Ps not quite sure why but I used to go nuts over the chocolate toolkits. They just had this taste to them that was like nothing else on earth!

Anyone remember these?

Unknown-2.jpeg

Anyone remember these?

Candy watches where you had to bite the candy off the elastic - often resulting in horrific injuries? ha ha!

Sherbet Fountain.jpg

Everyone's favourite - Sherbet Fountain with the big stick of rock hard liquorice to dip into it

How many people tipped the almost empty fountain into their mouth and ended up coughing and spluttering sherbet everywhere?

Texan Bar.jpeg

The amazing Texan Bars were outstanding and sadly no longer with us :(

Loved these - one of my absolute favourites

Nudge Bar .jpg

Once went to Sheaf Valley Baths in Sheffield city centre on a Saturday morning

The chocolate vending machine back in those days was a very basic affair and prone to being broken

This particular morning if you put a 10p in you could basically just choose whatever you wanted over and over and over again without having to put any more money in! So we stocked up on Nudge and Stop Gap bars and had a really greedy but satisfying Saturday afternoon scoffing chocolate

Thank you Sheaf Valley Baths - a day to remember for sure!

Applause-abr.jpg

Another absolute favourite of mine - Applause

So fruity flavoured and yet they discontinued it!

Bring it back!!

Rumba.jpg

Anyone fancy a Rumba? Only 5p

They sold these at my local sweet shop but hardly anywhere else

Sweets were rationed for much of my childhood so anything sweet I could get my hands on for my 2 ounce but I especially liked Clarnico's, Dixon's or Maxon's mint rock and aniseed but the real favourite was a sweet "fish" from the Market.

• Like 2

I seem to remember a chocolate bar called Old Jamaica. It was dark chocolate with raisins in and tasted of rum. Hence the name. My dad used to love this.

1 minute ago, midge said:

I seem to remember a chocolate bar called Old Jamaica. It was dark chocolate with raisins in and tasted of rum. Hence the name. My dad used to love this.

cadburybourn000151516.jpg

oh yeah! 

Rum and Raisin and sooooo nice!

4 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

cadburybourn000151516.jpg

oh yeah! 

Rum and Raisin and sooooo nice!

Definately remember the wrapper. I'm sure my dad thought it was alcholic, rum was his fav spirit. After a good pint of course.

I enjoyed these.  Weren't sold for long though.  1990 (ish).

Kind of a chewy muesli with raisins and rice krispies, covered in Cadbury's chocolate.

59a366a7ef000_Gobar.jpg.eb5594013a205b45303a9c30b1855fcf.jpg

• Like 1

If a slight detour into biscuits is allowed, this was EVERYBODY'S favorite mid morning biscuit at Clifford First School in 1980.

Biscuit base, honeycomb top, and McVitie's chocolate.

Terrible name.  But the blue and white stripes made up for that.

59a369717bc61_McVitiesUnitedBiscuit1980s.JPG.opt378x493o00s378x493.JPG.8ac7f84d4c5fcea2adc15321dd6a993e.JPG

I lived on Parson Cross in the 40`s and 50`s and one of my mates Mum worked at a factory that made Liquerice all sorts  And another lolly was called pontyfract cakes, I think. Its so long ago.

Bassets made Liquorice Allsorts( Bertie Basset became their trade mark) and Pontefract ( sometimes called Pomfret) cakes...although the best ones were made in Pontefract where liquorice root had been grown