Gary Bannister

Sheffield History

gary-bannister.jpg

Some absolutely fantastic shots of Gary Bannister's match worn third shirt whilst playing for Sheffield Wednesday

Sadly not for sale any longer but thought you'd like to see the photos!

sheffield_wednesday_70s_gary_bannister_match_wor-a.jpg

sheffield_wednesday_70s_gary_bannister_match_wor-b.jpg

sheffield_wednesday_70s_gary_bannister_match_wor-c.jpg

sheffield_wednesday_70s_gary_bannister_match_wor-d.jpgsheffield_wednesday_70s_gary_bannister_match_wor-e.jpg

sheffield_wednesday_70s_gary_bannister_match_wor-f.jpg

Loved Gary Bannister...or was it Charlie Williamson, could never tell them apart, off the pitch anyway...on the pitch was obviously different.

When Bannister missed two penalties away at Wolves, I often wondered whether or not Williamson had taken his place due to injury or summat, only thing I can think of as to why he missed two penalties.

Then the train broke down on the way back...great night.

Had the pace of a cheetah for a couple of years.  22 goals for Wednesday three years running.

Grew up in Leigh, Lancashire.  Sister played hockey for England.  Signed from Coventry, (£100,000 was it?).

Remember the FA Cup Qtr-final at Burnley, 1983.  Bannister was going past Burnley centre-half, (Frank Casper?), at about 65 MPH, so Casper just rammed his elbow into Bannisters face.  Went down like a wet bath mat with a broken cheekbone.  Just about got fit to play in the semi-final against Brighton three weeks later.  Our best striker, rusty and not fully fit.  Another reason we didn't play Man Utd in the final that year.

From 1985 to 1988, I saw him play for QPR maybe 20 times, having a close relative who was at QPR then.  I always looked forward to seeing the old Gary Bannister who had been so devastating for three years at Wednesday.  But not one time did I see it.  Still a good player, but that lightning spark had gone.  We did well replacing him with Imre Varadi.  We got the best of both of them.