Dunkirk-Sheffield Royal Engineers

Somersetchap

Hello all,

My grandfather served in 228 Field Company Royal Engineers. 228 Company was a territorial unit stationed in the city's Somme Barracks. They deployed to France with the BEF in 1940 and were involved in heavy fighting before being evacuated from Dunkirk.

i would be very interested to hear from anyone on the forum with any details about 228 Field Company during this period.

Also, does anyone know if the Dunkirk Veterans memorial is still in Sheffield Cathedral?

Many thanks 

Sam 

A very detailed account of the history of 228 FC Royal Engineers  in the evacuation at Dunkirk may be found on:

www.sfbhistory.org.uk/pages/sheffieldwar/page07.e.html.

An old friend who, by trade was brick layer, found himself with 228 Field Company RE and having a nice quiet war building pillboxes on the Franco- Belgian border ...and then the Germans spoiled it all by invading. He joined the retreat/withdrawal and ended up a POW in Germany for five long years

Try this link I think you will find it interesting.   www.sfbhistory.org.uk/Pages/SheffieldatWar/Page07/Page07e.html

Hi lysander

Your reply was not shown when I posted even though you posted 2 hours before me.

Is the time lag normal.

Bon Soiré

I really don't know....sometimes my postings have been instantaneous but I have noticed the odd tardy one.

Anyway, give my regards to Normandie one of my favourite parts of la belle France ...a place I sadly haven't visited for far too long.

Just trying to access  the link to 228 Sheffield  Field Coy RE which you provided 06/08/18 but it doesn’t seem to work though I’ve entered the reference several times. Any ideas please? Thanks
(I’d a relative at Dunkirk with them who happily, survived The War but has since died. In fact, I also served with the successor unit 50 years ago though fortunately after Dunkirk and WW2!)

On 15/01/2021 at 12:04, ManoutotCity said:

Just trying to access  the link to 228 Sheffield  Field Coy RE which you provided 06/08/18 but it doesn’t seem to work though I’ve entered the reference several times. Any ideas please? Thanks
(I’d a relative at Dunkirk with them who happily, survived The War but has since died. In fact, I also served with the successor unit 50 years ago though fortunately after Dunkirk and WW2!)

I can only trace the first part of the address http://www.sfbhistory.org.uk/

So maybe the rest (Pages/SheffieldatWar/Page07/Page07e.html) no longer exist?