I didn't know you cared

WIERD!!! Have just stumbled across this thread. I recently bought the DVD boxed set of IDKYC and was watching some episodes last night thinking 'some of those locations look familiar' hey ho, so they should, they're in good old Sheff where I lived some thirty years ago! I think the first pub I went in was the old Pomona Gardens which they then knocked down and built a place resembling a clinic. The second pub I went to was the Little Mesters, anyone remember that?

Guest paulweig

Was it Uncle Mort who carried his gas mask in a cardboard box round his neck and kept saying "I heard that........pardon"

Nay lad, it were Uncle Staveley what carried the ashes in a gas mask box on a string round his neck, of Corporal Parkinson who he fought beside in t'trenches of WWI

Nay lad, it were Uncle Staveley what carried the ashes in a gas mask box on a string round his neck, of Corporal Parkinson who he fought beside in t'trenches of WWI

Welcome to Sheffield History paulweig and thank you for posting.

Uncle Staveley (clearly a local lad then) was the name that was elluding me in my previous reply to the quoted post.

Ihanks for reminding me

I 'eard that, - Pardon!

Guest brian dany padley

having just read this and remembered this series,I would like to say " thanks chaps" its just cost me£23 as I have just bought the box set off amazon!!

I could have a piece of that !

having just read this and remembered this series,I would like to say " thanks chaps" its just cost me£23 as I have just bought the box set off amazon!!

Guest MandM

Hi all.

Picture 23 is the railway bridge with Holmes Lock in the background located in Rotherham. Close to the area called New York where the new football stadium is being built.

The locks in the next few pictures were refurbished about 20 years ago. Trees were planted and much of the existing industrial buildings have gone - Tinsley Wire and Firth Derrion.

Picture 24 is a lock at tinsley flight near to Shepcote lane.

Picture 25 is a lock at tinsley flight near to Shepcote lane.

Picture 26 is the deep lock at tinsley flight near to Shepcote lane.

Picture 27 is the deep lock at tinsley flight near to Shepcote lane.

Picture 28 is a lock at tinsley flight near to Shepcote lane.

Picture 29 is a lock at tinsley flight near to Shepcote lane.

Picture 29 is a lock at tinsley flight near to Shepcote lane.

Mick

On 23 April 2010 at 3:17 PM, Mark House said:

WIERD!!! Have just stumbled across this thread. I recently bought the DVD boxed set of IDKYC and was watching some episodes last night thinking 'some of those locations look familiar' hey ho, so they should, they're in good old Sheff where I lived some thirty years ago! I think the first pub I went in was the old Pomona Gardens which they then knocked down and built a place resembling a clinic. The second pub I went to was the Little Mesters, anyone remember that?

Are these pubs featured in the series? I have seen reference to the Myrtle at Heeley but not these 2. I'd be interested if you knew which episodes they featured in. 

Guest Lee Burkinshaw
On 18/02/2007 at 07:11, mickjj said:

Was it Uncle Mort who carried his gas mask in a cardboard box round his neck and kept saying "I heard that........pardon"

Nope it was someone's ashes

It was Uncle Staveley who carried a cardboard box around his neck, this box carried the ashes of his soldier friend who was killed in the war, it was not a gas mask. Stephen Rea who played Brandon went on to better things but for me Uncle Mort played by Robin Bailey was brilliant, he got the Sheffield accent just right.

Uncle Staveley was played by two different actors, the second one was played by Leslie Sarony, he was an old film star and singer on the theatre circuit, I have a couple of his comic songs on my iPod. Look him up on Amazon. John Comer played Mr Brandon, he played Syd who owned the Cafe in in Last Of The Summer Wine, Liz Smith played Mrs Brandon, Liz went on to play in The Royle Family, Brandon's girlfriend was played by Anita Carey, I can't remember what she went on to do.

I watch this series on YouTube and to me it's still very funny.