I didn't know you cared

I DIDN'T KNOW YOU CARED

Cast

Robin Bailey - Uncle Mort

John Comer - Les Brandon

Liz Smith - Annie Brandon

Stephen Rea - Carter Brandon (series 1 & 2); Keith Drinkel (series 3)

Anita Carey - Pat Partington (series 1 & 2); Liz Goulding (series 3)

Bert Palmer - Uncle Stavely (series 1-3); Leslie Sarony (series 4)

Deirdre Costello - Linda Preston

Gretchen Franklin - Auntie Lil (series 1 & 2)

Vanda Godsell - Mrs Partington

Crew

Peter Tinniswood - Writer

Bernard Thompson - Producer

It is a poor cousin of a marvellous series of books. The first novel, A Touch of Daniel introduces us to a family, the Brandons, which becomes more and more extended as aunts and uncles move in. There's a huge sense of reality in the dialogue and characters. In "A Touch of Daniel", a baby born to the household seems to have a miracle power... Hugely funny - books that you will read and re-read.

The other books in the series develop the characters, and focuses mostly on Carter Brandon, his girlfriend Pat, and his Uncle Mort. The reading order is: Touch of Daniel, I Didn't Know You Cared, Except You're a bird and Call it a Canary.

PICTURES

series one - episode one locations

series one - episode two locations

series one - episode three locations

series one - episode four locations

series one - episode five locations

series one - episode six locations

EXACT FILM LOCATIONS

Myrtle Road

Pomona Street

Frog Walk

The General Cemetary

Meadow Terrace - Sharrow Vale

Hickmott Road - Sharrow Vale

Pat's mother (Mrs Partington) lived on Huntley Road, off High Storrs Road.

The allotments just off Bannerdale Road

Carterknowle Road - (the big older houses between Abbeydale Rd and Bannerdale Rd)

Bow Works off Ecclesall Rd, behind the Pomona

Masboro station in Rotherham

The billiard hall on cambridge st across from the city hall (faulkners ?)

The Myrtle Pub

The Porter Cottage on Sharrowvale Rd

The bowling greens where Uncle Moat, played the reluctant bowling match for the hand of Mrs Macclesfield, were at Hillsbrough Park

The Dearne and Dove canal at Swinton

The smithywood WMC

Napier Street, just up from Pamona Street.

Club Garden Road

I think you're right - yeh !

If anyone can pinpoint the exact locations of any of the above pictures please post below and let us know

Would be good to get a picture of each location as it is now..

Screenshot 2021-01-16 at 09.15.01.jpg

The Temperance Bar - The corner of Salmon Street and Club Garden Road in Sharrow

The Allotment - Off Bannerdale Road

Yeah - is it Mario ?

I'm waiting for him to complete his site - he's been working very hard on that and should be great when he's done !

Is that High Hazels then ?

It's years since I last paid a visit (about 20 !)

I'm sure Mario was setting off to take some pictures of Hillsborough Park bowling green...

Is that High Hazels then ?

It's years since I last paid a visit (about 20 !)

I'm sure Mario was setting off to take some pictures of Hillsborough Park bowling green...

Yes,I put him right just in time! It's definitely High Hazels.You really should pay us another visit,we've put lots of new facilities in over the past few years-2 new playgrounds,sensory garden,etc.The grade 2 listed High Hazels House is getting a major revamp as a community facility soon.

I actually will visit - I'm up on Main Road at Handsworth soon - to take some pictures around the White Rose pub area so will drop in on the park and have a look around and grab some pictures

If you visit on a weekday,call in the development office (old cafe building).The staff are very helpful and will give you lots of info. about the park.

Tinsley Locks....weird to see the old Hadfields plant in the background. I believe they alo filmed some scenes by Hadfields East Wharf works, which was at the other side of the viaduct. How things have changed eh?

The site mentioned earlier in this thread could be a cracker

I know the chap who's doing it (mario) has been working on it for months and months

Hopefully he's managed to get many shots of old Sheffield from the screengrabs and then how it is now..

Are you sure thats Rotherham Masborogh Station I Trainspotted many hours but dont remember a canal at all ???

David Cooke

A Yorkshirelad in the USA

My favourite books, I love Peter Tiniswood's works.

I have the complete set of tv programmes on video tape somewhere. Pity I don't have a video anymore

Marion

Guest son returned

I think you're right - yeh !

If anyone can pinpoint the exact locations of any of the above pictures please post below and let us know

Would be good to get a picture of each location as it is now..

The old railway carriage used as a garden shed at the allotment belonged to a friend of mine who goes by the name Bill Turner. He grew show quality gladioli on the allotment and in the summer lived there nearly all the time. Bill Turner lived on Broadfield Road, Heeley. Is father, also known as Biil, was a renowed hand forger of cutlery, there is a picture of Bill Turner the younger in a book by Housley, I think its called Buffers And Grinders about the cutlery industry. :rolleyes:

Guest mow18

Yes,I put him right just in time! It's definitely High Hazels.You really should pay us another visit,we've put lots of new facilities in over the past few years-2 new playgrounds,sensory garden,etc.The grade 2 listed High Hazels House is getting a major revamp as a community facility soon.

I worked in the park on the bowling green as a greenkeeper before moving on to the golf course.

I remember the members being up in arms when one of the cast ran on to the bowling green in her high heels.

OUTSIDE FILMING LOCATIONS:

The Ship and Bargeman's Comfort - Wharf Street & Dun Street, Swinton - nr Rotherham

Mr and Mrs Brandons house - No. 25, Endcliffe Rise Road (off Brocco Bank), Sheffield

Doctors, where Uncle Mort visited in Series 3, Episode 1 - No. 54, Endcliffe Rise Road (off Brocco Bank), Sheffield

Turf Accountant, Bernard Humberstone, in Series 4, Episide 5: The Great Escape (on the corner with Salmon Street & Sharrow Street) - nr Club Garden Road. It is not bang opposite The Ship & Bargeman's Comfort, as it is made to look in this episode. It is close to the The Temperance Bar on Club Garden Road.

'Turbine Terrace' - The derelict terraced house in Series 2, that Uncle Mort and Carter preferred to live was, i believe, on Napier Street, just up from Pamona Street.

Mrs Partington's house - Huntly Road

Was it Uncle Mort who carried his gas mask in a cardboard box round his neck and kept saying "I heard that........pardon"

No it wasn't uncle Mort it was one of the other characters who was profoundly deaf hence his catchphrase, "I heard that........pardon"

The series would have us believe that rather than his deafness being due to old age it was caused by shell blast exposure during the First World War.

He still carries the gas mask cardboard box he had in the First World War, but it does not contain a gas mask.

The front of the box is marked "Corporal Parkinson" and the box is supposed to contain the cremated ashes of his best friend, Corporal Parkinson, who was killed in the First World War.

Bearing in mind that the series is set in the 1970's it pays tribute to the fact that many of the men who endured and survived WW1 never fully recovered from its mental effects, it effectively blighted their entire lives. Although the series did put this sad fact of life across in a lighthearted, comedic way.

In the later series, Uncle Mort thiks he is dying so Mort is an appropriate name (French, Mort = Death)

Uncle Mort organises his own funeral wake, party and trip out which is to take place BEFORE his funeral as he "wouldn't want to miss out on a party and a trip because he was dead"

His trip out was "a ride on Sheffield's last tram"

His ride on Sheffields last tram, filmed in the late 1970's, around 18 years after trams had finished in Sheffield, was filmed, not unsuprisingly at Crich tramway Museum, Crich, Derbyshire.

Thought I'd mentioned this before but can't see it.

There was a scene (coach trip maybe ?) filmed at the Rabone Chesterman Arch, close by the Pomona.

Is the Arch still there, is the building still there even ?

Thought I'd mentioned this before but can't see it.

There was a scene (coach trip maybe ?) filmed at the Rabone Chesterman Arch, close by the Pomona.

Is the Arch still there, is the building still there even ?

The Bow Works is still there.