Help Save Bennet Cottage Fulwood

Stoney Broke

Please help me save Bennet cottage in the mayfield valley from demolition, the current owners plan to demolish the buildings and replace with an awful modern building, see planning application 17/02756/FUL. The cottage is at least 500 years old and has attached a 13th Century Cruck framed barn (also to be demolished). This ancient barn is believed to have once belonged the the Abbey of Beauchief. 

I have known Bennet cottage for my whole life having been brought up on the neighbouring farm of Birksgreen.    I am absolutely appalled that anyone could even remotely think of demolishing this wonderful example of the history of the Mayfield Valley, let alone try to replace it with such a monstrosity of so-called modern ecological construction!    The barn at the side of Bennet cottage is a beautiful example of a cruck barn, and like the cottage itself should be preserved for future students of architecture to study as examples of what could be built in times gone by.   I sincerely hope that measures can be taken to preserve Bennet cottage and its surroundings. 

Looks like there's 15 Objections 10 Supporters so far, I cannot for the life of me think why 10 people would support this..

I personally feel that we should preserve our heritage and old, well preserved buildings, add to our  built up environment but, I suppose, not everyone feels the same and our Council has not always been blessed with the wisdom to preserve heritage. I imagine every generation has witnessed the demolition and replacement of buildings and not all were gleefully accepted.

Hi everyone.

THE PLANNING DEPT REJECTED THE APPLICATION TO DEMOLISH THIS HISTORIC COTTAGE AND BARN LAST YEAR, but

THE OWNER HAS PUT IN AN APPEAL, SO ONCE AGAIN 'WE ARE ON A FIGHT' TO SAVE THIS 'GEM' IN MAYFIELD VALLEY.

Please help! time runs out 29th March 2021

Why I ask, DID THE OWNER BUY THE COTTAGE IF HE DIDN'T WANT TO LIVE IN IT.

If this gets passed, where will it stop?!

• Like 1

My gut feeling is that someone employed by Sheffield City Council  if being ‘of assistance’ to someone a lot wealthier than themselves, far be it from me to say anymore. However the ‘friendly over a pint meetings’, in certain city centre pubs between council employees and property entrepreneurs that I have witnessed could be totally innocent, or perhaps not.

Hi Calvin 72 and Dave JC. 

Well I've done my bit for Mayfield Valley and Sheffield Heritage, to try and help save our precious building

I have written and sent in my objection notice, pointing out several impractical and prominent facts, as well 

as the Historical and Environmental and Scenic destruction path it would put the valley on for the future,

should the demolition be allowed.  All we can do now is WAIT! and hope.

I firmly believe that the Sheffield council doesn’t care one iota about the old buildings of Sheffield and their history it’s always been the same attitude “ knock ‘em down “  I also have an idea that someone is making a lot of money with the demolition of our historical heritage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tozzin said:

I firmly believe that the Sheffield council doesn’t care one iota about the old buildings of Sheffield and their history it’s always been the same attitude “ knock ‘em down “  I also have an idea that someone is making a lot of money with the demolition of our historical heritage.

Sort of what I said, other than for my monetary suggestion. I had a now long dead mate who was ace at locating a small plot with or without existing buildings on it, he knew exactly who to ‘talk to’ at the town hall, relative to receiving permissions to demolish whatever might be on the site and build more rabbit hutches than you could waive a stick at.

Hia everyone. Just want to clarify things.

The Sheffield City Council Planning Dept 'REJECTED'  the application to demolish Bennet Cottage.

So we all thought from last summer that it was saved.   

'BUT' !!   in February

the 'guy' who bought the Cottage,  has put an Appeal in to the Planning Inspectorate, in Bristol,

against the Sheffield City Council Planning 'rejection'.   So it's the 'guy' who is still trying to get it demolished!

The SCC voted against demolition. Ok Heartshome

On 16/03/2021 at 06:42, tozzin said:

Sort of what I said, other than for my monetary suggestion. I had a now long dead mate who was ace at locating a small plot with or without existing buildings on it, he knew exactly who to ‘talk to’ at the town hall, relative to receiving permissions to demolish whatever might be on the site and build more rabbit hutches than you could waive a stick at.

So in short SCC has absolved itself of any blame/responsibility for the future of this very old property. As and when the faceless Planning Inspectorate makes it’s decision SCC will hold up their hands and say that it was nothing to do with them.

My thoughts on the matter are to get Olivia Blake involved, she/Labour took Hallam by stealth achieved by boundary changes, she can hardly deny her Fulwood constituants their voice in a matter close to their hearts, can she?

1 hour ago, DaveJC said:

So in short SCC has absolved itself of any blame/responsibility for the future of this very old property. As and when the faceless Planning Inspectorate makes it’s decision SCC will hold up their hands and say that it was nothing to do with them.

My thoughts on the matter are to get Olivia Blake involved, she/Labour took Hallam by stealth achieved by boundary changes, she can hardly deny her Fulwood constituants their voice in a matter close to their hearts, can she?

I don’t think that SCC can stop someone appealing against their decision.