The Teapot

Thorntons girl

My neighbour told me this lovely story today

After the blitz, he was walking past a bombsite where he saw people, possible the occupants of the bombed house searching in the rubble.

They were searching frantically when he heard a man shout "Its here, its here!!"

My neighbour stopped to look when out of the rubble there came a tea pot, in perfect condition, not even chipped.

Curious to know why the tea pot would have been so urgently looked for he thought that perhaps it had a sentimental attachment to the man.

His curiosity was soon answere when the man took off the tea pot lid, put is hand and pulled out a large wad of notes!! Obviously the mans life savings!!

What a lovely ending to the story, although sadly bombed out the family still had their lives savings.

I am intrigued to know which family this was, was it yours?, was this a common occurrence to save life savings in a tea pot ?

Have any members on this site got any heart warming stories to tell of the blitz?

I am very interested to hear them.

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 18:04, Thorntons girl said:

My neighbour told me this lovely story today

After the blitz, he was walking past a bombsite where he saw people, possible the occupants of the bombed house searching in the rubble.

They were searching frantically when he heard a man shout "Its here, its here!!"

My neighbour stopped to look when out of the rubble there came a tea pot, in perfect condition, not even chipped.

Curious to know why the tea pot would have been so urgently looked for he thought that perhaps it had a sentimental attachment to the man.

His curiosity was soon answere when the man took off the tea pot lid, put is hand and pulled out a large wad of notes!! Obviously the mans life savings!!

What a lovely ending to the story, although sadly bombed out the family still had their lives savings.

I am intrigued to know which family this was, was it yours?, was this a common occurrence to save life savings in a tea pot ?

Have any members on this site got any heart warming stories to tell of the blitz?

I am very interested to hear them.

Nice story.  The people I knew that had been bombed out had all on buying a tea pot, let alone saving money in one. Interesting to know where in Sheffield the bombsite was!  W/E.

The area was around Monmouth street and the bottom of the Moor.

Glad you liked the story, it certainly was heart warming to hear.

23 hours ago, Thorntons girl said:

The area was around Monmouth street and the bottom of the Moor.

Glad you liked the story, it certainly was heart warming to hear.

I had a friend who lived on Aberdeen Street, luckily they moved just before the blitz.  W/E. 

That is lucky!!

We are all lucky that we did not have to experience the horrors of the blitz

I bet lots of families had similar experiences of sifting through the rubble after having all their worldly possessions crushed and then having to sift through rubble to find their lives savings and any shred of their precious possessions.

Thats a lovely story Thorntons girl.-  During the blitz, my Mum, her older and younger sister and their Mother, went in the cellar under a big wooden table as the air-raid siren had gone. They heard bombs dropping in the distance, then there was an almighty blast very close. Suddenly the younger sister shouted 'Paddy, where's Paddy' he was their little Terrier, and in the panic, they had left him in the kitchen. She was crying and very upset, and when the all clear sounded she rushed up into the kitchen where she felt something all fluffy and soft by the door. She was hysterical thinking Paddy had been killed, until Mother lit the lamp, and found the front door had been blasted to bits, and the splinters had torn apart a kapok cushion. At this point, a terrified but much relieved little dog crawled from under the sideboard, he was unscathed, but during that week he turned COMPLETELY WHITE.- The sad part of the story, is the blast was a direct hit on the neighbours opposite, demolishing the house, and killing the gentleman outright.

Her father was missing ( a train driver it turned out his train been deliberately stopped in Woodhead tunnel with a load of petrol tanks until  days after the raid on Sheffield) Her husband was on nights doing war work at ESC and she had no idea whether he was alive or not...(they didn't have mobile phones in those days)... and my Mum ,with a very infirm mother to look after, started, literally, to lose her hair with worry. Of course, "We can take it".. was what we have been told, but when she went to see her GP, a few days later  ...clutching handfuls of her hair, she was driven out of the waiting room by patients afraid she had developed some dreadfully infectious complaint. Fortunately, as it turned out, she hadn't and Dad and Grandad were unscathed.

After hearing this tale and those of white flags being shown after raids on some cities, I have always been a little sceptical about, "We can take it"...to such an extent it encouraged me to write my dissertation on Civilian morale during WW2.

On 23/05/2018 at 15:58, Heartshome said:

Thats a lovely story Thorntons girl.-  During the blitz, my Mum, her older and younger sister and their Mother, went in the cellar under a big wooden table as the air-raid siren had gone. They heard bombs dropping in the distance, then there was an almighty blast very close. Suddenly the younger sister shouted 'Paddy, where's Paddy' he was their little Terrier, and in the panic, they had left him in the kitchen. She was crying and very upset, and when the all clear sounded she rushed up into the kitchen where she felt something all fluffy and soft by the door. She was hysterical thinking Paddy had been killed, until Mother lit the lamp, and found the front door had been blasted to bits, and the splinters had torn apart a kapok cushion. At this point, a terrified but much relieved little dog crawled from under the sideboard, he was unscathed, but during that week he turned COMPLETELY WHITE.- The sad part of the story, is the blast was a direct hit on the neighbours opposite, demolishing the house, and killing the gentleman outright.

What a sad story but with a sweet ending.

I am so in awe and proud of our relatives and the people of Sheffield and how they coped in the war years.

Thanks for sharing.

On 28/05/2018 at 16:38, lysander said:

Her father was missing ( a train driver it turned out his train been deliberately stopped in Woodhead tunnel with a load of petrol tanks until  days after the raid on Sheffield) Her husband was on nights doing war work at ESC and she had no idea whether he was alive or not...(they didn't have mobile phones in those days)... and my Mum ,with a very infirm mother to look after, started, literally, to lose her hair with worry. Of course, "We can take it".. was what we have been told, but when she went to see her GP, a few days later  ...clutching handfuls of her hair, she was driven out of the waiting room by patients afraid she had developed some dreadfully infectious complaint. Fortunately, as it turned out, she hadn't and Dad and Grandad were unscathed.

After hearing this tale and those of white flags being shown after raids on some cities, I have always been a little sceptical about, "We can take it"...to such an extent it encouraged me to write my dissertation on Civilian morale during WW2.

I agree with you Lysander, I believe Morale would not have been as high as we have been led to believe. A lot of people were severely disturbed by the war(Not surprising), crime was rampant and promiscuity was sky high!

Propaganda by the government obviously made the public to fearful of telling the truth so that they wouldn't let the country down as such. My Granddad fought in the war and he never got over it, it is all he ever talked about when I visited. I was only young then and wish I had too more notice............................................