Ecclesall Market

southside

The other night in the local, talk got around to the new market down on the Moor, one of my mates said there had also been a market at the bottom of Ecclesall Road in the early 1800s!

Any one have any ideas as to where it was.

southside

The Ecclesall Bazaar opened on 24th June 1829 and closed on 28th June 1852. It was on the north side of South Street (Moor) opposite Jessop Street. Moses Herring was in charge of the market in 1838 but had retired by the time of the 1841 census.

59613c616579a_EcclesallBazaar1838.png.2b97506691eabb84b1033ee63e6a90db.png

Thanks Guys, not exactly Ecclesall then!!  it was located much closer to the new market than i realised.

It`s thrown up another question if any one can help.

I found the market on this section from the 1841 map of Sheffield, what i want to find out about now is the round construction on Earl Street(circled)

southside

Earl Street.jpg

It was just a gasometer,,, dull....?

NO! This is Sheffield - major excitement in 1856, testing for gas leaks with a match!

5964fa2ca8e20_ArundelStreetGasometer1856.png.72ab3d84cd8268af07030b8e889e5046.png

Thanks Edmund,  Should have guessed by the shape that it was a gasometer.

Here`s a couple of Picture Sheffield photo`s of the gasometer, one taken from above in 1935 looking over towards Earl Street with the Moor in the foreground, anyone recognise any of the buildings?

The other photo (date unknown), looking down Earl Street with the gasometer in the background.

Gasometer.jpg

Earl Street.jpg