The Stonehouse in Sheffield city centre

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 15.48.40.jpg

The Stonehouse Pub Sheffield.png

Have a watch of this video of Sheffield's famous bar The Stonehouse

Are you in it? Do you recognise yourself?

What do you remember about this famous meeting point?

I remember the StoneHouse before it was turned into a "fun" house. The Landlord was a real character... Bill Hoffman...a Dutchman who once told me at the invasion of Holland he was training to be a Doctor ...He escaped the Nazis and served in the British Army.

The ceiling was painted as the nightime sky with stars wasn't it ? or was that in the 70's ?   

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing this footage must have been shot in the late 80's, after Orchard Square was opened in 1987? Until I saw the branch of Lloyds Bank on Church Street through the front windows, I was questioning if it was The Stone House, as the end sequence (03:35-03:54) shows the lads exiting the pub into a pedestrian precinct, which was neither the front or rear entrance as I knew it?

As I remember, the front door led straight on to Church Street and the rear was on to Orchard Place (a little cobbled street), which led on to Orchard Lane and then on to Leopold Street?

Rear of Stone House c.1983

The rear of the Stone House must have been rebuilt, so the doors would face out on to Orchard Square? Not in my era of drinking there, so not sure?

update...... this seems to answer my own question:

New rear entrance to Stone House on to Orchard Square c.2005

8 hours ago, RLongden said:

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing this footage must have been shot in the late 80's, after Orchard Square was opened in 1987? Until I saw the branch of Lloyds Bank on Church Street through the front windows, I was questioning if it was The Stone House, as the end sequence (03:35-03:54) shows the lads exiting the pub into a pedestrian precinct, which was neither the front or rear entrance as I knew it?

As I remember, the front door led straight on to Church Street and the rear was on to Orchard Place (a little cobbled street), which led on to Orchard Lane and then on to Leopold Street?

Rear of Stone House c.1983

The rear of the Stone House must have been rebuilt, so the doors would face out on to Orchard Square? Not in my era of drinking there, so not sure?

update...... this seems to answer my own question:

New rear entrance to Stone House on to Orchard Square c.2005

I only went in a couple of times but friends tell me that many customers would leave the Stonehouse with their gasses in their hand and cross Leopold street to go into the rather rowdy bar that was under the Grand Hotel. I can't remember its name but it was so crowded you struggled to get to the bar and had to wait to get served.

5 hours ago, Old rider said:

I only went in a couple of times but friends tell me that many customers would leave the Stonehouse with their gasses in their hand and cross Leopold street to go into the rather rowdy bar that was under the Grand Hotel. I can't remember its name but it was so crowded you struggled to get to the bar and had to wait to get served.

Was it the 'Pig and Whistle'? If I remember the sequence of our Saturday night pub crawl 'up town', it was out of the back door of the Stone House, dodging the lads (and a few classy lasses) utilising Orchard Place as an alfresco urinal, left on to Orchard Street and if 'The Museum' was heaving, it was a hop across Leopold Street and down the stairs, into the 'Pig'. It ran the length of basement of the building, which was overlooking Leopold Street, between what it now 'The Bessemer' at street level. I'm not sure what The Bessemer was then, but I'm thinking it was a hifi shop? Laskys maybe?

Does the 'Pig and Whistle' ring any bells?...

22 hours ago, Old rider said:

Sounds like The Buccaneer

Thanks for reminding me It was The Buccaneer Bar. One of my mates called it a "Pervert's Paradise" and claimed you feel a girl up and get away with it because it was so crowded!

I'm trying to find out about the history of the Stone House. I understand the 'themed' Stone House opened in 1971 with the earlier pub being around on the same site before that. Now this is the bit I'm not sure about- was the old pub heavily remodelled to incorporate/ extend the new pub with the famous cobble street scene etc or completely demolished and rebuilt? I know further changes came when Orchard Sq was built but I'm struggling to find any info about the earlier Stone House and what happened when the new themed one was opened. Can anyone help? 

I only ever went in here a handful of times, but i seem to remember a rumour that it had (at the time) the longest bar in either the UK, Europe or the world,. Which i guess if its the longest in the world, then by default it would be for the other two😂.

Anyone else know anything about that?

The bar in the Stone House never seemed particularly long to me.  At some point I was told that the longest bar in England was the Fforde Grene in Leeds.  I went in once and it did appear to be a long bar.