Rare and Racy to close at the end of June

History dude

The bookshop that has been selling rare Sheffield books for ages according to it's website is to close at the end of June. 

Rare and Racy website

I don't think I had the money to buy any books from it, but I assume most of you probably did. If so what? Will you miss it and where will you buy rare Sheffield History books from now?

My dad was a rare book dealer back in the 70's and early 80's (he sold detective fiction) so as a kid I spent a lot of time there - and with the Capes family who ran the place.

Sorry to see it go. Very fond memories. Sad too, as it was a very real, physical link to my Dad who died in '84. There's not a lot left now!

Last time we were back in Britain (a few years ago), I took my daughter there (she was a toddler at the time) on a kind of pilgrimage/ connection with the past. Glad I got the chance.

I am really sorry to hear of the impending demise of this, one of Sheffield's long-established and for me, much loved institutions.

Sic transit Gloria mundi as they say.

However, if you are perchance looking for that long-out-of-print book about some obscure piece of Sheffield history, then I would recommend that you should start with John L. Capes, an on-line antiquarian bookseller, now based out of Staithes, just North of Whitby.

Easy to find on the internet.

John was once associated with Rare and Racy himself, and I do recommend giving him a try, even though I do hold him personally accountable for the rather obscure Jazz Music that used to blare out at R & R in the 1970s and 1980s, and I have, in the past, told him as much.

33 minutes ago, Unitedite Returns said:

John was once associated with Rare and Racy himself, and I do recommend giving him a try, even though I do hold him personally accountable for the rather obscure Jazz Music that used to blare out at R & R in the 1970s and 1980s, and I have, in the past, told him as much.

lol

Groan <_<

I think that my musical tastes are quite wide and diverse, ranging from Michael Butterworth's 'By the Banks of Green Willow' at one end, all the way through to Scooter's 'Jumping all over the World' at the other end.

However - bizarre jazz - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

I walked passed there today and it is still open for now.

It was selling their books 5 for a £1/

Sad to see it go.