Sheffield steel works

richmond4449

John Thomas Collins Hendry who lived at 341 Langsett Road, died in April 1909; his death certificate described him as a "clerk at steel works". Now I know there were many such works in Sheffield at the time, but would there have been any close to his house? He had only lived there for less than 3 years, and I don't think he would have been fit enough to travel far, even by bus or tram. I would like to pin it down if I can.

Grateful for any help or advice

Sheffield in those days had a very well developed tram system which would have allowed Mr Hendry to have travelled, quite cheaply, to almost any of the City's very many large, medium and small steelworks.

Sheffield Steel I think was on Bridge Street and operated 24 hours a day, in the colder months the early morning air was a orange colour and the noise of the steam hammers could be heard through the night.

The large works on Millsands, near Bridge Street, was Sheffield Forge and Rolling Mills which, latterly, was a part of Sheffield Rolling Mills before the whole lot closed.