Sharrow Lane School.

Runningman

Sharrow Lane School is closing this month. A new building has been constructed at the side of Sitwell Road.

There is an initiative beginning to enable former pupils to visit the school and hopefully discover long lost friends !

I attended between 1951 and 1958. My teacher for 1957/8 was Mr Foster. Headmaster was Mr Davis.

First started in the infants with Mrs Woodger, then Mrs Goodfellow and Miss Hare. Into the juniors with Mr Furniss, Mrs Pearson, Mr Self and Mr Wild.

Does any one know of any plans already made for a visit by ex pupils. If so let us know please.

Whose names do you remember ?

Here's a list of some I can remember.

Barry Brown, Gerald Kersh, Christine Charlesworth, Nina Heathfield, Elaine Joynes, Maureen Emily, Elizabeth Brownhill, Linda Firth, Christine Broadhurst, Margaret Coffey, Patrick Solway, Pauline Allen, Jennifer Ellis, Mike O'Sullivan, David Morley, John Warrington, Ian Dean, Stan Rowbotham, Ann Dale, Barbara Childs, Carol Titterton, Jaqueline Foxcroft, Linda Beecroft, Andrew Barson, Trevor Briggs, Graham Carpendale, Lawrence Bellinger, John Gascoigne, David Jones and Susan Pitts.

Not a bad recollection after 50 years.

Guest Leipzig

Hi Runningman

I attended Sharrow Lane school between 1958 and 1965.

The names I remember are as follows:

Pupils:

Christine ANCLIFFE

Keith BADGER

Linda BADGER

Patricia BARNSLEY

Kathryn BROOKS

David BUXTON

Jeremy CHAPMAN

Paul COCKER

Tony COCKER

Steve? COSGROVE

Alan COTTERILL

Diane COX

Paul CRITCHLOW

Phillip DAY

Paul? DEAKIN

Terry ETCHES

Christine FAWCETT

John FROST

John FUNG

David GALLEY

Christine GODDARD

Mahala GRIFFIN

Ian GROCOCK

John HATTERSLEY

Gillian HOBSON

Glyn JACKSON

Mark JOHNSTON

Sylvia JUBB

John MATHER

Denise MATHEWMAN

Andy McKAY

Karen McLEOD

Andrew PLAXTON

Christopher POLOMSKI

Paul or Michael? REANEY

Christopher ROYLES

Terry SIGSWORTH

John SMITH

David SNAPE

Jed STONE

Andrew TEANBY

Christine WALTERS

David? WARD

Paul WARD

Georgina WARD

John WILLARS

Andy WILSON

Neil WILSON

Stephen? WRAG

Members of staff:

Mr DAVIS (Headmaster)

Mr FOWLER (moved to Hillsbrough Jnrs as Headmaster)

Mr AINSWORTH

Mr BAIRD

Mrs HIRST

Mrs DENNIS

Mrs BARNSLEY

Mrs CHRISTOPHER

Mrs ANCLIFFE

Mrs ALFLAT

Mrs PEARSON

Miss CROSSLAND (infant school)

Apologies to anyone I have incorrectly remembered - memory fading!

Does anyone remember the Australian exchange student that was at the school in 1965 I think it was, who taught us that bloody Australian poem about - "John Trelawney and his famous fabled ride"

Regards

Leipzig

Guest REDNECK

I did not attend Sharrow Lane school but my brother and I were fitted for gas masks there in 1939. I got a regular one but, since he was so small, he got a Donald Duck one. There is no way I will forget that school.

When you have your visit, think for a moment about all of us non scholar attendees.

Guest plain talker

Hi Runningman

Members of staff:

Mr DAVIS (Headmaster)

Mr AINSWORTH

Mr BAIRD

Mrs HIRST

Mrs DENNIS

Mrs BARNSLEY

Mrs CHRISTOPHER

Mrs ANCLIFFE

Mrs ALFLAT

Mrs PEARSON

(BTW, excuse my snipping your post, Leipzig. Sorry)

Crikey! how did I miss this thread? I was at SLS in the 1970's.

I recognise the names of more than one of the teachers there:-

Mrs Alflat, (who, incidentally also taught my late mother, at Coleridge Road School in the 1950s!)

Mrs Dennis

Mrs Pearson (who was the deputy headmistress and had taught at the school since the 1950's. She passed away in 1980/81)

In my time there I also remember

Mr Walker,

Mr Rigby

Mr Blackwell

Mr Hewson

Pupils I remember from that time (1970/75 ish) were

Wendy FOLGER

Steven CRABTREE (who married Wendy, above!)

Mark LITHGOW (And his sister, Michelle)

Andrew CROSS

Martin THACKERAY

Donna DICKS

Sylvia AULD

Sharon and Cheryl CAHILL

Linda NEEDES (and her sister Vicky)

Dianne MOORE (?)

Mohammed TAFIQ

Mark CRAPPER

Helen PHILLIPS (?)

Ruth HAWKESWORTH

Karen, who used to live on Ward Place...

Hi Runningman

Pupils:

Christine ANCLIFFE

Keith BADGER

Linda BADGER

Patricia BARNSLEY

Kathryn BROOKS

David BUXTON

Jeremy CHAPMAN

Paul COCKER

Tony COCKER

Steve? COSGROVE

Alan COTTERILL

Diane COX

Paul CRITCHLOW

Phillip DAY

Paul? DEAKIN

Terry ETCHES

Christine FAWCETT

John FROST

John FUNG

David GALLEY

Christine GODDARD

Mahala GRIFFIN

Ian GROCOCK

John HATTERSLEY

Gillian HOBSON

Glyn JACKSON

Mark JOHNSTON

Sylvia JUBB

John MATHER

Denise MATHEWMAN

Andy McKAY

Karen McLEOD

Andrew PLAXTON

Christopher POLOMSKI

Paul or Michael? REANEY

Christopher ROYLES

Terry SIGSWORTH

John SMITH

David SNAPE

Jed STONE

Andrew TEANBY

Christine WALTERS

David? WARD

Paul WARD

Georgina WARD

John WILLARS

Andy WILSON

Neil WILSON

Stephen? WRAG

Members of staff:

Mr DAVIS (Headmaster)

Mr AINSWORTH

Mr BAIRD

Mrs HIRST

Mrs DENNIS

Mrs BARNSLEY

Mrs CHRISTOPHER

Mrs ANCLIFFE

Mrs ALFLAT

Mrs PEARSON

Apologies to anyone I have incorrectly remembered - memory fading!

Does anyone remember the Australian exchange student that was at the school in 1965 I think it was, who taught us that bloody Australian poem about - "John Trelawney and his famous fabled ride"

Regards

Leipzig

I know you left this AGES ago,

But you remember Mrs Alflat!!

Thats my Gran!! =]

Guest plain talker

Thats my Gran!! =]

Mrs Alflat also taught both myself and my mother at different schools, some years apart! (see my comment above!)

Mrs Alflat also taught both myself and my mother at different schools, some years apart! (see my comment above!)

I am little bit confused. I received the above email update today in relation to my forum and wondered if your entry is somehow related to mine. I am researching John William Lambert.

Guest plain talker

I am little bit confused. I received the above email update today in relation to my forum and wondered if your entry is somehow related to mine. I am researching John William Lambert.

hi, Denise.

You'll get an e-mail every time there is a reply to your thread, whether the response is specific to your query or not..

Within the thread about a school, for example, you may get people discussing the building, the pupils from the twenties, or the sixties, or reminiscing about the different teachers through the ages. That's why you will have received the notification.

Hope that helps?

PT

Both my Aunt and mother both sheltered at the school during the Sheffield Blitz, are the shelters under the school, does anyone remember?

Denise

Check your subscriptions

Go to My Controls

then Subscriptions

then either Topic or Forum Subscriptions

If you are subscribed to any you will get an email everytime they receive new posts, you can unsubscribe from there.

Stuart

Guest C Wendy

I was very surprised to hear that Sharrow Lane is to be no more. I went there from Jan 1967 until 1974. The infant headteacher was Miss Buckle who was suceeded by Mrs Timperly. I was first in Mrs Ancliffe's class then Mrs Dowling, Mrs Price and Miss Hadden? The junior head was Pop Allen and my teacher's there were Mrs Ainsworth, Mr Blackwell (for 2 years) and Mr Walker. We went to Mrs Dennis for French and in J4 we had lessons with Mrs Pearson and Mr Rigby as well, Mrs Alflat took us for needlework. Mr Allen once took us for a tour of the cellars and I remember the Christmas parties when we would watch films and if we were lucky the teacher would play them backwards for us.

At one time we were in terrapins which were behind the special needs school and involved walking up and down to the main school several times a day, it is possible that there were no loos there either! :blink: My best friends at that time were Karen Whittaker, Kay Stevenson and Sharon Cutts.

I'd love to know if there is going to be the opportunity to visit the school.

Guest junior williams

I went to Sharrow Lane in the Late 70's to 1982. When I finished 4th year my family and I moved to the States. I remember Mr .Rigby, Mr. Warburton, Mrs. Close, Mr. Blackwell and Mrs. Alflat. I dont remember too many of my class mates. I do remember Lee Adams, Racky Hyacinth, Anthony Stewart, Robert Scanlon and Delia Matis.

I am surprised that the school is closing...I went back to the school in 2002 and it had not changed that much. My visit brought back lots of memories of playing football in the school yard.

Guest faisal

I went to Sharrow Lane in the Late 70's to 1982. When I finished 4th year my family and I moved to the States. I remember Mr .Rigby, Mr. Warburton, Mrs. Close, Mr. Blackwell and Mrs. Alflat. I dont remember too many of my class mates. I do remember Lee Adams, Racky Hyacinth, Anthony Stewart, Robert Scanlon and Delia Matis.

I am surprised that the school is closing...I went back to the school in 2002 and it had not changed that much. My visit brought back lots of memories of playing football in the school yard.

i my name is faisal i went to sharrow same time i lived on south view cresent i had a freind called ian does any 1 remmber me

Guest faisal

i my name is faisal i went to sharrow same time i lived on south view cresent i had a freind called ian does any 1 remmber me

i was in mrsclose class

i was in mrsclose class

Hi Faisal and welcome.

Hope someone sees your post and gets in touch. You may have to wait a while though. Sometimes posts can stay quiet for a long time, then suddenly someone finds it, replies, and before you know it it's a hot topic.

Any memories of your school days at Sharrow.? Post them - it's all welcome.

Hi everyone

I was at Sharrow Lane from 1964 to 1970.

Started of in Mrs Ancliffes class in the infants (Miss Buckle was headteacher then), then Mrs Ainsworth, not sure for final year of infants.

In juniors it was Mrs Alflatt, Mrs Jackson, Mr Rigby and then Miss Inkpen (she got married that year and can't remember her married name) with Pop Allen as head.

Remember lots of people who were pupils there at the time (many of whom are on friends reunited), some of the more memorable ones were Mark Bingley, Michael Renshaw, Michael Thompson, Mark Blythen, Phil Kirby, Ian Lofts, Andrew Hague, Peter Richards, Leandro Romano, John Blackwell, Catherine Bratten, Julie Dabell, Julie Kime and thats about as much as I can remember.

Great school, sad to hear it's gone as they have also recently closed my senior school Abbeydale Grange.

Recently moved to the States to see more of the kids and grandchildren.

Regards to all

Leon Rodziewicz

Thats my Gran!! =]

Please pass my best wishes on to her, she was a great teacher, always kind to the children and with a wicked sense of humour to boot! Left a lasting impression on me, will never forget Christmas Play 1966 when she gave all of us shining new pennies! She only lived just round the corner from us too in Steade Road.

Best wishes

Leon Rodziewicz

Guest judy15

Hi everyone from Sharrow Lane School,

I attended from 1954 til after the 11+ (remember that!), my maiden name is Judy Wood

Names that come to mind:

Cynthia ?

Margaret Plant

Sarah Walters

Stephen Wood (my brother younger by 7 years)

Susan Wood (cousin older by 2/3 years)

I moved to London in 1976 and then to Australia in 1981. Freezing in Melbourne right now

Am visiting Sheffield in Sept/Oct to see parents.

Cheers to you all

Judy

Hi everyone

I was at Sharrow Lane from 1964 to 1970.

Started of in Mrs Ancliffes class in the infants (Miss Buckle was headteacher then), then Mrs Ainsworth, not sure for final year of infants.

In juniors it was Mrs Alflatt, Mrs Jackson, Mr Rigby and then Miss Inkpen (she got married that year and can't remember her married name) with Pop Allen as head.

Remember lots of people who were pupils there at the time (many of whom are on friends reunited), some of the more memorable ones were Mark Bingley, Michael Renshaw, Michael Thompson, Mark Blythen, Phil Kirby, Ian Lofts, Andrew Hague, Peter Richards, Leandro Romano, John Blackwell, Catherine Bratten, Julie Dabell, Julie Kime and thats about as much as I can remember.

Great school, sad to hear it's gone as they have also recently closed my senior school Abbeydale Grange.

Recently moved to the States to see more of the kids and grandchildren.

Regards to all

Leon Rodziewicz

I was in the same class as you, Leon. The main thing I remember about you is that you beat me in a spelling competition! We had to do list and lists of spellings, and if you made a mistake you were 'out'. We got to the point when only you and I were left in the competition. The spelling that beat me was 'colonel' – I spelled it 'kernel'. I'd be surprised if you remembered me, I was painfully shy (I was tall for my age, skinny, and had red hair).

Other people I remember:

- Michael Renshaw (who gave me my first kiss when we were about six, lol!)

- Christopher White

- A pair of identical twins, who were in our class in the infants – I think their surname was Thompson and that they were called Robert and Michael (??)

- A girl called Penelope

Hope you're keeping well. -Christine Parker

Guest dingledong

hi my mum attended sharrow lane school in the late 30's and 40's any one else attend around the same time. she lived on washington rd at the time.

Guest theowlsman

(BTW, excuse my snipping your post, Leipzig. Sorry)

Crikey! how did I miss this thread? I was at SLS in the 1970's.

I recognise the names of more than one of the teachers there:-

Mrs Alflat, (who, incidentally also taught my late mother, at Coleridge Road School in the 1950s!)

Mrs Dennis

Mrs Pearson (who was the deputy headmistress and had taught at the school since the 1950's. She passed away in 1980/81)

In my time there I also remember

Mr Walker,

Mr Rigby

Mr Blackwell

Mr Hewson

Pupils I remember from that time (1970/75 ish) were

Wendy FOLGER

Steven CRABTREE (who married Wendy, above!)

Mark LITHGOW (And his sister, Michelle)

Andrew CROSS

Martin THACKERAY

Donna DICKS

Sylvia AULD

Sharon and Cheryl CAHILL

Linda NEEDES (and her sister Vicky)

Dianne MOORE (?)

Mohammed TAFIQ

Mark CRAPPER

Helen PHILLIPS (?)

Ruth HAWKESWORTH

Karen, who used to live on Ward Place...

Now I have to say I'm a little disappointed you didn't remember me.

Simon Dickinson. Still alive, kicking, and as handsome as ever lol.

Also suspect from the avatar, Utah Owl from Owlstalk is in this thread. lol

Here is a link to the archaeological survey carried out at Sharrow Lane Infants School in 2008. It is very detailed, with lots of internal photos and would be an interesting read for anyone who attended the school, and also gives lots of information about the development of the Sharrow Lane area:

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-908-1/dissemination/pdf/arcus2-46372_1.pdf

Brief extract:

The Sharrow Lane School was opened on the 21st February 1887, with a new infant’s department opened in January 1890. The 1890 OS map showed the infants school at the northern end of the site (the area covered by this report), with the boys’ and girls’ departments occupying a building at the central part of the school site, with a playground between the two schools and another to the south of the central block. A ‘junior mixed’ department was added in the 1890s, at the southern end of the plot. This had a ‘play-shed’ on the ground floor, with arched openings, for wet-weather breaktimes, with the classroom on the first floor above. In December 1941, during the night of the first Sheffield ‘blitz’, a German bomb landed on the school site. This caused substantial damage to the central block, particularly the first floor (boys’) accommodation, with plans from 1943 showing part of the roof destroyed, with damage to all the ceilings, part of the wall of the upper storey, and the bell tower/flue.

I was in the same class as you, Leon. The main thing I remember about you is that you beat me in a spelling competition! We had to do list and lists of spellings, and if you made a mistake you were 'out'. We got to the point when only you and I were left in the competition. The spelling that beat me was 'colonel' – I spelled it 'kernel'. I'd be surprised if you remembered me, I was painfully shy (I was tall for my age, skinny, and had red hair).

Other people I remember:

- Michael Renshaw (who gave me my first kiss when we were about six, lol!)

- Christopher White

- A pair of identical twins, who were in our class in the infants – I think their surname was Thompson and that they were called Robert and Michael (??)

- A girl called Penelope

Hope you're keeping well. -Christine Parker

Hi Christine!

Yes I do remember you!

The Penelope you are referring to is probably Penny Bramhall and a couple of other girls names who I have recalled since my last post are Deborah Fielding and Sandra Jennings. I can remember the classes being pretty big in those days (seem to recall about 44 in ours).

A couple of other snippets you may remember are the Apollo 8 mission at Christmas 1968 when Mr Rigby helped us build a huge model of the Saturn 5 rocket (must have been 8ft tall)! The swimming galas at Heeley baths (plus getting our 25yd, 100yd, 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile certificates) and the rounders matches in the yard oh and not to forget the school houses (Grange, Kenwood, Priory & Thornsett).

Hope you are keeping well.

Regards

Leon

• Like 1

Now I have to say I'm a little disappointed you didn't remember me.

Simon Dickinson. Still alive, kicking, and as handsome as ever lol.

Also suspect from the avatar, Utah Owl from Owlstalk is in this thread. lol

Guilty as charged M'lud! lol

Sharrow Lane School is closing this month. A new building has been constructed at the side of Sitwell Road.

There is an initiative beginning to enable former pupils to visit the school and hopefully discover long lost friends !

I attended between 1951 and 1958. My teacher for 1957/8 was Mr Foster. Headmaster was Mr Davis.

First started in the infants with Mrs Woodger, then Mrs Goodfellow and Miss Hare. Into the juniors with Mr Furniss, Mrs Pearson, Mr Self and Mr Wild.

Does any one know of any plans already made for a visit by ex pupils. If so let us know please.

Whose names do you remember ?

Here's a list of some I can remember.

Barry Brown, Gerald Kersh, Christine Charlesworth, Nina Heathfield, Elaine Joynes, Maureen Emily, Elizabeth Brownhill, Linda Firth, Christine Broadhurst, Margaret Coffey, Patrick Solway, Pauline Allen, Jennifer Ellis, Mike O'Sullivan, David Morley, John Warrington, Ian Dean, Stan Rowbotham, Ann Dale, Barbara Childs, Carol Titterton, Jaqueline Foxcroft, Linda Beecroft, Andrew Barson, Trevor Briggs, Graham Carpendale, Lawrence Bellinger, John Gascoigne, David Jones and Susan Pitts.

Not a bad recollection after 50 years.

Many years apart, but his mum was my mum's best friend. We lived at 37 Wostenholm Rd and they lived at 4 Washington Rd. Many visits there (Gerald's youngest brother Peter was just 2 years older than me) and lots of family holiday's taken together in Bridlington.

Gerald was quite the musician (clarinet and saxophone) and at one time I believe played with Joe Cocker in the early 60's before he got famous.