Grimsell Round

roobydoo

I went for a cycle yesterday and ended up at Birley Edge,there is a sort of earthworks there that I have identified as "Grimsell Round"

Does anyone know anything about it,I can find nothing at all on Google,that is unusual,the last time that happened I was investigating the chemical content of Creosote.

Thanks Rooby Doo 07748403815undefined

The field was there in 1637 at the time of Harrison's survey. "Grim" is associated with earthworks, eg Grimesthorpe.

58e0b12d92ada_Grimsels-Addy.png.b51b1e43414f500d4b92f3c952251242.png

Map derived from Harrison:

58e0b1384f916_CrimsallField1637Harrison.png.15929bd917504b4a931bfeacd30512e6.png

Thank You Edmund , so it looks like Grimsell is some sort of corruption of Crimsall or Grimsel or Crimsal.

Thanks for the map , I would say that the path of the Earthworks runs from where Flar Field and Cockshutt Lane meet through Crimsall and on towards Holme.It is amost a natural corridor .

Anyone else got any comments as to why someone would want to build Earthworks in such an obscure place.

Regards Rooby Doo tel: 07748403815