Beer Off/ house, now believed to be 19 Charlotte Street, Highfield

PhilChapuk

Looks to be a beer off/corner shop with the name " Harry Quixall" over the door, I would guess the photograph was taken around 1940 - 1950's, number shows "19".

I wonder what road it was on? 

Hi, sorry for delay replying I have been busy retiring. Harry Quixall was my grandfather. Married to Annie. Harry was a a forger. Annie a buffer. The photo with the two ladies might be the grocer shop which they turned into a beer house. The ladies are Annie and my mum, Betty. Kellly's Directory 1925 mentions great grandfather George Quixall as licencee of the licensed shop. The address in Kelly's is 46 Netherthorpe Street. Was it on a corner, 19??  The beer house was a big success but illegal. The story goes that Stones brewery had to close it at the time of the range as an illegal joint but it was too successful. So Annie was offered the Boston Hotel at 10 Lansdowne Road. Thats the other photo of all the family outside, with Annie and Harry. This is the best as I know it... 

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 20:08, PhilChapuk said:

Hi, sorry for delay replying I have been busy retiring. Harry Quixall was my grandfather. Married to Annie. Harry was a a forger. Annie a buffer. The photo with the two ladies might be the grocer shop which they turned into a beer house. The ladies are Annie and my mum, Betty. Kellly's Directory 1925 mentions great grandfather George Quixall as licencee of the licensed shop. The address in Kelly's is 46 Netherthorpe Street. Was it on a corner, 19??  The beer house was a big success but illegal. The story goes that Stones brewery had to close it at the time of the range as an illegal joint but it was too successful. So Annie was offered the Boston Hotel at 10 Lansdowne Road. Thats the other photo of all the family outside, with Annie and Harry. This is the best as I know it... 

Number 46 Netherthorpe Street  belonged to the beer -off shop on the corner of Netherthorpe Street and Dover street.

As it was on the corner I believe it had two addresses like some of them did , the shop was classed as being on Dover street but the living quarters side door

was  in Netherthorpe street. In the fifties it was our local beer-off come grocery store, I used to live just across the road . The name of the occupants then were Mr and Mrs Murfin.

The description of the corner being also 19 Dover Street makes complete sense. Thank you for clearing that up!

18 hours ago, PhilChapuk said:

The description of the corner being also 19 Dover Street makes complete sense. Thank you for clearing that up!

Sorry Phil but I don't think it clear it up as number 19 Dover street was next door but one to me ACROSS the road from the shop'

In the 1959 Kellys directory you have the numbers starting from

12  to 22 then comes Ellison street then

24  to 44 . Number 44 was the end house before the large opening to the yard, at the other side of the opening was the front of the shop which would make it again number 46

I wish I had an old picture to show you.  But looking at your picture the number 19 looks a bit odd don't you think? On older type property with the dark brown wood you could barely see the numbers, this looks like a number has been stuck on to a piece of white paper and stuck on the picture. It just looks a little odd.

as you say, very odd!

the 46 Netherthorpe Street part fits with the records, both on census and licensee records. I'm pretty sure the licensee name on those records was Harry's father, William. I can't explain the 19 Dover Street part!

Hi Phil, Just an after thought I have a 1911 Sheffield streets printout of Netherthorpe street and I have noticed there's a George Quixall living at number 49 Netherthorpe street, probably the same family.

1911 (2).jpg

1911 (3).jpg

Just saw the further digging you did, apologies. George was Harry Quixall's Dad. It does make me smile that the records are either in George or Harry's name. But it was Annie who was the one pushing things forward always. Annie worked as a buffer, putting the serrations into knives as it paid more. With that money they rented the shop but made more money operating it a beer house till they got the Boston Hotel later. Some time after WW!! that part of the family moved to Blackpool.

Guest leksand
On 27/03/2017 at 12:31, PhilChapuk said:

Sheffield Grocer Shop Annie Betty.jpg

Although I don't have the licensing record for the pictured property to confirm Harry Quixall as a former licensee, I am confident that it is 19 Charlotte Road (corner of Margaret Street). It was one of only two Sheffield beer-offs numbered 19 in the era of the photo for which Stones were listed as registered owners. OS mapping elsewhere on the site (July 1952 survey) offers strong confirmatory evidence.

11 minutes ago, leksand said:

Although I don't have the licensing record for the pictured property to confirm Harry Quixall as a former licensee, I am confident that it is 19 Charlotte Road (corner of Margaret Street). It was one of only two Sheffield beer-offs numbered 19 in the era of the photo for which Stones were listed as registered owners. OS mapping elsewhere on the site (July 1952 survey) offers strong confirmatory evidence.

charlotte rd.jpg

31 minutes ago, leksand said:

Yes.

It looks like it could be the same shop, circa 1920-1939

https://www.picturesheffield.com/fs14296

s14296.jpg

The photo I have of Betty and Annie Quixall looks very like it could be 19 Charlotte Road. It even looks like the Google map picture of it (today?)

The proximity to the Portland Works and round there makes sense. George Quixall was Harry Quixall's father. There were quite a few George's in the family. What made me think it might be Netherthrorpe Street is that the fa,ily had a lot of birth and deaths registered on that street but also that Sheffield Indexers has in Kelly's Directory George Quixall listed as Licenced at 46 Nethercote Street for grocery and beer. Perhaps they moved from one shop to the other at some stage?  The Stones brewery link to the Boston Hotel makes sense which is on the photo of the two ladies and the one outside the boston as the story is Stones asked Annie to take on the Boston as the beer house was doing so well. Though the Boston had Harry as the Licensee while they had it. 

Think got to bottom of Annie & Harry Quixall's beer story in Sheffield. He was a forger and she was a file cutter, according to their marriage certificate. I now think there were three properties, one after the other. First, a beer-off shop, corner of 46 Netherthorpe Street and Dover Street, listed under Harry's Dad's name George Quixall in Kelly's Directory. Then they moved to 19 Charlotte Street, that's the photo of Annie and Betty Chapman outside the shop. That property is still there. Then Stones brewery licensed the Boston Hotel to them in Harry's name, also called the Derby. It was located very close to the Lansdowne Hotel of 2-4 Landsdowne Road and London road.

Guest leksand
On 16/09/2021 at 18:07, PhilChapuk said:

Think got to bottom of Annie & Harry Quixall's beer story in Sheffield. He was a forger and she was a file cutter, according to their marriage certificate. I now think there were three properties, one after the other. First, a beer-off shop, corner of 46 Netherthorpe Street and Dover Street, listed under Harry's Dad's name George Quixall in Kelly's Directory. Then they moved to 19 Charlotte Street, that's the photo of Annie and Betty Chapman outside the shop. That property is still there. Then Stones brewery licensed the Boston Hotel to them in Harry's name, also called the Derby. It was located very close to the Lansdowne Hotel of 2-4 Landsdowne Road and London road.

46 Netherthorpe St (beer-off) - George Quixall licensee 1924/9/16 to 1933/6/20

19 Charlotte St (beer-off) - Harry Quixall licensee 1940/5/7 to 1941/7/29

Boston Hotel (all-on) - Harry Quixall licensee 1941/7/29 to 1943/3/16

Has anyone checked if/where they turn up on the 1939 register?