Lightning strike on Broomhill Methodist Church

Greg Gruner

Hi, as a child/teenager I lived on Fulwood Road, Broomhill, 1972-78. Sometime in that period there was a major lightning strike that damaged the spire of Broomhill Methodist Church, which was around 200 yards from our house. In my attic bedroom at the time, I got a small electric shock when the strike happened. The spire had to be demolished (and  later the church itself was demolished and replaced with a new building).

I am trying to establish the date when the strike occurred. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Greg

Hi Greg,I lived on Ashgate Road,it was 1973,my Gran was visiting she was sat on the loo when it happened,she thought the end of the world had come!

You will probably need to go & look at old copies of the Telegraph & Star at Local Studies Library if you  live in Sheffield (I don't but have been once to look at papers).

Thanks for your replies. I had another dig through my old diaries (I had been looking 1976-78) and I found a reference to the storm in my diary. It was July 18th 1975.

Hi  I was at Broomhill Infants school and remember seeing lightning that probably was the one that struck the Wesleyan church.  I have been trying to find more information about this.  I just remember being in one of those shelters they often had in playgrounds and it faced the correct way.  Given I was born in 1969 and was Infants age that would put 1975 as being correct.  The only other information I can find on the internet is an article that thinks the lightning damage was in 1980.  I also remember going to that church for pre-school or play-school I think it was called before going to Broomhill Infants.  I was pleased to see your question.  If you have found any other information since 2017 I'd be grateful to know any more.  Thank you.  All best wishes.  Martin

Yes, that was the church that was the struck. the spire had to be demolished soon afterwards, and on a fairly recent visit to Sheffield I see that the whole church has been replaced with a modern one.

The morning after the lightning strike my Dad was bringing me in the car down from Crosspool to drop me off at King Ted's. As we stopped at the traffic lights he pointed out that there was a crack in the spire and you could see daylight through it.  The crack must have been at least 15 feet long.