Sheffield Steel Workers

Islam Deen

Hi all,

Did anyone of you either worked or know anyone that worked at the steel works.

Did anyone know any yemeni steel worker at the time around the 1960s, one in particular who went by the nickname Fred.

Thank you

Hi if anyone was a steel worker or know someone who was a steel worker can you please reply or share.

Also those who went to the alexandra pub on carlisle rd as many steel worker went there.

Thank you 

There were tens of thousands of steel workers in dozens of companies...many of whom employed Yemenis...it might help if you knew which steelworks Fred worked in. My own late father-in-law had a Yemeni workmate called Abdul.

Lysander his real name was abdul but was nickednamed fred. He worked at lillymans where did your late father in law work 

On 04/03/2017 at 16:27, Islam Deen said:

Hi all,

Did anyone of you either worked or know anyone that worked at the steel works.

Did anyone know any yemeni steel worker at the time around the 1960s, one in particular who went by the nickname Fred.

Thank you

Hi my dad used to work there, he was from Yemen (Aden) his name was Abdul

8 hours ago, lysander said:

There were tens of thousands of steel workers in dozens of companies...many of whom employed Yemenis...it might help if you knew which steelworks Fred worked in. My own late father-in-law had a Yemeni workmate called Abdul.

Hi my dad used to work there and was a Yemeni, his name was Abdul. What was your father-in law called? 

The man im looking for is abdul, also named abdul wahab. Your father may have known him mia as they are from the yemeni community 

On 06/03/2017 at 11:47, Islam Deen said:

The man im looking for is abdul, also named abdul wahab. Your father may have known him mia as they are from the yemeni community 

Yes I knew him. He spent a lot of time with my dad out of work. He used to come to our house every Saturday. Was a very funny man 

I remember him having a son and I think he had daughters also. I don't remember him ever being called Fred by my dad or the others who use to come to our house. We knew him as uncle (like it was in them days out of respect)

Okay i dont know if we are on about the same person. Abdul wahab worked at lillymans whether your dad worked there too. 

On 11/03/2017 at 12:15, Islam Deen said:

What was his son called?

Hi I'm not sure it was so long ago. I think one of his daughters was called Miriam ? I'll ask my sister because I was quite young at the time and she was older. 

Sadly the ones i know of passed away or dont know his son. Only thing i know that his mother was not yemeni and he was born round the 60s. Last time he saw my fayher was over 20 years ago