George Bassett

tozzin

I know George Bassett, Confectioner, lived on Endcliffe Crescent but I don't know which one was his, In my directories it just gives his name and Endcliffe Crescent, I want to write an article about him and his home so if anyone can point me to the correct house I would be very grateful.

I believe he lived at Endcliffe Cottage (though quite an up-market cottage).  He was advertising to rent it out in 1872.  Also below is his obituary from 1886.

58ab3048d524d_EndcliffeCottage1872.png.f68ada79f0d85b952c1fefaa9056901c.png

58ab3144d51f1_EndcliffeCottage1890.png.8deba25c12419577d0d9509cd34ee629.png

58ab3050854ba_EndcliffeCottageGoogle.png.759aa246ec0519888db3a6a2a1b3f043.png

58ab3042ec9ca_Bassettobituary1886.thumb.png.065ca5b163fd0dc8fa4274d63458e7a0.png

Its this house I'm trying to find, from the 1879 Whites

ENDCLIFFE CRES. (Fulwood Rd..)

Wild James (steel manufacturer)

Holland Richard G. (steel manufacturer.)

Taylor John W. (steel manufacturer)

Marshall Thomas (solicitor)

Gamble Joseph (steel manufacturer)

Meggitt Samuel (button,glue, &c. mfr.)

Smith Joshua (merchant. & manufacturer)

Allen William Daniel (steel manufacturer.)

Taylor William Charles (iron agent)

Lockwood William (merchant)

Brown WaIter (solicitor)

Colley Mr Henry

Wightman Arthur (solicitor) .

Colley Francis A. (manufacturer)

Parker Mr Thomas J ames

Bassett George (confectioner

I have a slightly different theory, based on the entries in 1881 White's Sheffield directory and the 1893 map of the area. The address entries show George Bassett living at the second house on the West Side of Endcliffe Crescent, which would make his the house circled in red on the enlarged 1893 map (see the entrance drive in green, which is off Endcliffe Crescent). It appears that Endcliffe House (also on the 1893 map) is actually an address on Fulwood Road (no. 335 Joseph Brailsford) and Endcliffe Cottage, circled in blue, is also shown as an address on Fulwood Road, also having access off that road

I'm suggesting that George Bassett was advertising the letting of Endcliffe Cottage in 1872, as it was in the grounds of his 'big house', as you can see from the various maps? It's a little difficult trying to find a map of the exact period, as there was a frantic building program in the latter part of the C.19 in that area, where the great and the good of Sheffield were having their empires erected....... on the good side of town!

It's also a real pity that the 'big house' has not survived, but I'm not sure about the cottage? I've shown the red and blue circles on a modern aerial view and the house is where the end block of flats stand. I think the cottage may be the white building, circled in blue?

Just a theory mind.....

1881 Kellys_p.1087_George Bassett_Endcliffe Crescent.JPG

1881 Kellys_p.1093_Albt Healey Foster Jnr_Endcliffe Cottage.JPG

1893 Sheffield Map_Endcliffe Crescent_Zoom2.JPG

1893 Sheffield Map_Endcliffe Crescent_Zoom1.JPG

1893 Sheffield Map_Endcliffe Crescent.JPG

Modern Aerial View_Endcliffe Crescent.JPG

You're welcome! lol

At the risk of information overload, if you look on 'Britain From Above', you can get a peek at the 'big house' and cottage - still standing in 1950

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw031274

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw031399

Check the green circles on the attached photos and zoom in as far as it will let you. The are hi-res and show lots of detail, like the gardens of the houses, Fulwood Road behind and lots of other features you can assimilate to the maps. (you need a sign-in to enable the zoom feature on BFA)

Same colour scheme as before. Red for big house, Blue for cottage 

1950 Aerial View_Endcliffe Crescent_Wide.JPG

1950 Aerial View_Endcliffe Crescent.JPG

1950 Aerial View_Endcliffe Crescent_Wide_2.JPG

1950 Aerial View_Endcliffe Crescent_2.JPG

• Like 1

In the 1851 Census George Bassett was living at Nunnery Farm as a Family of Four and Three Servants.

In the 1861 Census they were living on Norfolk Road as a Family of Six with One Servant. Employing 12 Girls 30 Boys 36 Men

In the 1871 Census they were living on Endcliffe Crescent as a Family of Severn with Five Servants including a Gardner and Wife. Employing 1510 Persons.

Also in the 1871 Census Thomas and Catherine Stenton, Gardener and Wife Living in Endcliffe Lodge.

A bit of late addition to this thread!  Anyway, we currently live in Bassett's former residence on Norfolk Road which was built in 1851. We have some of the original handwritten agreements for sale from that time signed by George Bassett and I guess representatives of the Duke of Norfolk. Also further documents up to 1923 etc. I think some of these may be of great historical interest so please respond if interested.  

• Like 2