Any Staniforths - Just finished an in depth pedigree going back to the 1500s

Nathan J. Staniforth

Are there any Staniforths on here, I've been working on my tree for the Staniforths of Hackenthorpe/Beighton for some time now and I have my own branch which links up with the branch related to the Staniforth Scytheworks that used to be on Main Street, Hackenthorpe from the 1740s to the 1980s. I've also linked the Darnall branch up to the Hackenthorpe line also, I'm basically aiming for a complete Staniforth pedigree at this point

Hi Nathan

My great aunt on my mum's side was Ethel Staniforth, of Shirland Lane in Darnall. Her husband was George Staniforth and they had a son called Paul. I'm afraid I can't be a lot of help, but let me know if there are any more details you need and I will see what I can do. God bless

1 hour ago, Albert J Burton said:

Hi Nathan

My great aunt on my mum's side was Ethel Staniforth, of Shirland Lane in Darnall. Her husband was George Staniforth and they had a son called Paul. I'm afraid I can't be a lot of help, but let me know if there are any more details you need and I will see what I can do. God bless

Hi Albert, thank you very much for the response, George Staniforth has to be without a doubt the most common name combination I've found so far, every generation and branch seems to have a George. Do you happen to know anything about George, what year he was born or anything like that, or even better, would you know Ethel's maiden name, I'd be able to find their marriage and go from there.

Hi Nathan,

Another George Staniforth of Darnall for you, born 1831 s/o Joseph Staniforth and Jane Oates, family of coal miners.   Joseph was the son of another George, who married Hannah Lant in 1796 and spent all his life in Dunkirk Square at Darnall.   Can you fit them into your tree?

Pat (Staniforth)

I have two Staniforths in my genealogy database.  Mary Hannah Staniforth (1873 Norton) married Frank Barringham (1872 Sheffield - 1908), in Heeley Christ Church on 26 April 1896.  Her father was Albert Staniforth (1847 Beighton - 1883 Sheffield), a Sicklesmith in 1881.  Frank was an elder brother of my maternal grandfather.  My mother told me that Mary was known as Polly, and had no children.

I should be interested to see the position of Albert in your Staniforth tree, and know who his parents were.  Is your data available online?

On the subject of scythesmiths, I don't suppose you know anything about scythesmith James Biggin (c1640), his son Samuel (c1670), and the latter's children - which includes Ellen (or perhaps Lea), who married Thomas Wilde (brother to my 5xgreat-grandfather)?

Matthew Wilde.

I don't know if they are of any interest to you but there are two US Staniforth obituaries posted on the Eng-Sheffield Rootsweb list today:

- Wilfred Staniforth born 16 September 1918 Sheffield to Adam and Sarah née Hill, died Peoria 10 June 2014 aged 95

- Alan Staniforth born 17 July 1938 Sheffield, died 24 June 2013 Orange County, CA

both with some details of their lives and families.

On 17/02/2017 at 02:02, Nathan J. Staniforth said:

Are there any Staniforths on here, I've been working on my tree for the Staniforths of Hackenthorpe/Beighton for some time now and I have my own branch which links up with the branch related to the Staniforth Scytheworks that used to be on Main Street, Hackenthorpe from the 1740s to the 1980s. I've also linked the Darnall branch up to the Hackenthorpe line also, I'm basically aiming for a complete Staniforth pedigree at this point

Did you manage to link your tree with the one in Hunter's Hallamshire?

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:29, pat staniforth said:

Hi Nathan,

Another George Staniforth of Darnall for you, born 1831 s/o Joseph Staniforth and Jane Oates, family of coal miners.   Joseph was the son of another George, who married Hannah Lant in 1796 and spent all his life in Dunkirk Square at Darnall.   Can you fit them into your tree?

Pat (Staniforth)

Hi Pat,

I really should check this thread more often, would you believe I'm in contact with decendents of Albert Staniforth, who was son of John Staniforth who was son of Benjamin Staniforth who in turn was son of Joseph and Jane Oates, Albert emigrated to America so these descendants are in the Mayland area. I'm in the middle of trying to work out where George Staniforth was from, I got the same information as you, Joseph Staniforth that married Jane Oates was definitely the son of George Staniforth and Hannah Lant as referenced on his baptism record, I have the marriage records also, now I know George was, like you said, a Collier as it also states this on the sons baptism, but the only George Staniforth baptisms appear to be with fathers that were Cutlers so it seems very unlikely a son of a Cutler would become a collier back then, did you ever get any ideas as to who the father of George Staniforth was?

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 05:20, History dude said:

Did you manage to link your tree with the one in Hunter's Hallamshire?

Not yet, my direct line goes back to a 1575 Burial, obviously Hunter's goes back to the 1300s and ends up in Darnall, a second one Hunter did starts in Wincobank and comes through and marries into the Darnall branch numerous times, my Great x12 Grandfather was buried in St James, Norton 1575 and his son's baptism occurred in 1560, and is one of the first on the register at Norton. Now obviously I would turn to Court Rolls to find mentions but the Norton Court Rolls have been missing since the 1800s, there are a few clues to suggest my line before this was linked to the Brincliffe Edge Staniforths, but nothing concrete unfortunately.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 12:16, Matthew Wilde said:

I have two Staniforths in my genealogy database.  Mary Hannah Staniforth (1873 Norton) married Frank Barringham (1872 Sheffield - 1908), in Heeley Christ Church on 26 April 1896.  Her father was Albert Staniforth (1847 Beighton - 1883 Sheffield), a Sicklesmith in 1881.  Frank was an elder brother of my maternal grandfather.  My mother told me that Mary was known as Polly, and had no children.

I should be interested to see the position of Albert in your Staniforth tree, and know who his parents were.  Is your data available online?

On the subject of scythesmiths, I don't suppose you know anything about scythesmith James Biggin (c1640), his son Samuel (c1670), and the latter's children - which includes Ellen (or perhaps Lea), who married Thomas Wilde (brother to my 5xgreat-grandfather)?

Matthew Wilde.

Matthew, I have a photo of Mary Hannah Staniforth and her family, I'm in contact with descendants of her brother William Robert Staniforth, I'll have a look through my paperwork for a James Biggin, the surname definitely rings a bell but I can't work out why..