Dress Code

Stunmon

I remember when I started work at the end of the 50s we were not allowed to wear trousers or thick tights. Can anyone remember this time and when the rules started to relax?

Us blokes had to wear trousers, a white long sleeved shirt, a sober tie  and a jacket...at all times. On a hot summers day the word might come down from on high " You may loosen your ties" I think we started to have a more relaxed attitude in the late 1960s...when I remember wearing a "flower power Tie. The Office girls never wore trousers even then... skirts grew shorter and shorter... until a quiet word was had! Happy days!

When I worked at BISRA, around 1970  I remember the Directors secretary (who sat in the next office to me) arriving for work in a trouser suit . Her boss told her trousers were not proper attire for secretaries & she must go back to skirts!

I seem to recall that within the companies that I worked for that 'formal' business attire was the accepted norm well into the mid-1980s.

'Smart casual' was permitted on a Friday, but it had to be 'very smart casual' and jeans, trainers, tee-shirts, being tie-less, etc., were still prohibited even then.

On warm days, you still had to ask for permission to remove your jacket.

By the mid 1980's my dress code was much more relaxed. I wore exactly what I chose...apart from business meetings when I always wore business attire so as not to shock the sensibilities of a potential client. Mind you, it was my own company and I was very much my own boss!