Heeley Bottom Floods

Guest KARNTSPELL

Guest KARNTSPELL

Heeley floods, this is Queens Road + Colver Road July 2nd 1958, Any one remeber it ????

Guest tsavo

Nice picture Tomo, just needs the lifeboat and... welcome to Sheffield History and keep posting.

Guest tsavo

It seem to remember another flood in the early 1970s. The Star reported that just before the flood arrived at the Midland Station, hundreds of rats appeared on the lines running in the general direction of Manchester.

It seem to remember another flood in the early 1970s. The Star reported that just before the flood arrived at the Midland Station, hundreds of rats appeared on the lines running in the general direction of Manchester.

I remember the early 70's flood, the 1958 one, I wasn't born; any from today ?

Guest KARNTSPELL

Hi tsavo,

Ref. the Heeley flood in the 1970's I think that this may be a photo of it - looking at the Ford Anglia and the young lady in the pink coat, I would say this is the 1970 - ish

The photo was taken from outside the Earl of Arundel looking towards Reuben Thompsons at the corner of Havelock Bridge

Guest KARNTSPELL

I remember the early 70's flood, the 1958 one, I wasn't born; any from today ?

WISH I COULD SAY THE SAME ABOUT BEING BORN THEN !!!!!

Tomo

WISH I COULD SAY THE SAME ABOUT BEING BORN THEN !!!!!

Tomo

I'm just a whipper-snapper, with an interest in Sheffield from an older era, born 1962, much more interested in 1862. lol

I remember this well - it was 1973. I worked at the Midland Bank (corner of Cemetery Road and London Road) and the cellar was flooded for the first time in living memory. Three of us spent a fortnight with ironing boards, working on six years' worth of cheques etc., drying them out.

It was 1973. The railway station was also flooded and you could go by boat from platform 5 to platform 6.

On 14/06/2007 at 22:39, KARNTSPELL said:

Heeley floods, this is Queens Road + Colver Road July 2nd 1958, Any one remeber it ????

I remember the 1958 flood quite well, our old house on Clyde Road was flooded, we had moved out but my gran was still there and was moved to an old people’s flat, I think directly because of the flood. I also remember other floods at Heeley, especially under the railway bridge, but couldn't put a date to them. The river at Broadfield Road could change from a trickle down the middle channel to a raging torrent in a very short time.

I have just come across this early picture just identified as "Flooding in Sheffield" but I am sure it is Heeley Bottom.  ------------         https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303336596461?ul_noapp=true

flooding.jpg

I'm sure you're right - PictureSheffield have this photo taken in October 1949 of the Broadfield Road/ London Road junction.  The Flood photo is older though - in 1925 Boots Cash Chemists (Eastern) Ltd had a branch at 514,516,518 London Road and they'd been there since 1891.

552280243_BroadfieldRdLondonRd1949.png.05c28f583c6a947ba41dac02fc0af7be.png

• Like 2

On 02/11/2019 at 22:10, Edmund said:

I'm sure you're right - PictureSheffield have this photo taken in October 1949 of the Broadfield Road/ London Road junction.  The Flood photo is older though - in 1925 Boots Cash Chemists (Eastern) Ltd had a branch at 514,516,518 London Road and they'd been there since 1891.

I think I remember, (probably from this site), reading that the Boots shop on the corner of Broadfield Road was referred to as Heeley Bridge Branch. Heeley Bottom was one of my favourite places in Sheffield, it had everything, good pub with a few more nearby, banks, school, train station, picture houses and all kinds of shops. My first job included having to ride a butchers type bicycle three times a day from Abbeydale Road with deliveries to the Timpson's shop that can just be seen in the 1949 photo'.

EDIT - Apparently Boots were at the corner of Broadfield Road until 1932 when they moved to 448 London Road where they remained until the mid 70's.   ----   http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u02324&pos=1&action=zoom&id=37601

i came across this piece about some flooding at Heeley in 1922 on Times Digital Archive!

I remember going to the Heeley Coloseum  with my mates a couple of years before it closed, to see the film Tarzan the Ape Man. You can make out the Cinema on the Picture Sheffield photograph, its the building with the white frontage rising above its surroundings.  

Heeley Flood 1922.jpg

• Like 1

The 1958 floods were extensive all along the Sheaf valley. Millhouses Park was badly damaged and as someone has said, Broadfield Road was flooded to a depth of two feet. I recall the awful stink of sewage that lasted several weeks after the water levels subsided.  I don't recall the River Don being that bad.  After the 1958 floods the previously natural river course at Broadfield Road was deepened and widened with a concrete bed and walls and the same was done on the Porter near Shoreham St tram sheds. Looking at it from a bus the other day, that bit needs urgent attention again because all the concrete is broken but I hear that there is a plan to re-culvert both rivers - when the cash is available.   I was 16 in 1958 and remember riding my bike down to Heeley, Little London and Millhouses to look at the damage. With global warming....and today's weather...it's only a matter of time before it happens again.

From 1955-1959 my family (I arrived in 1956) lived in Meresbrook Park Road.  One of Dad's churches was Heeley Bottom so it is interesting seeing at that time.

Sheffield Independent 12 July 1872

Mrs Lee had a very narrow escape. She had to wade through the water to the road and back again twice to save her children.

Sheffield 1A.JPG

Sheffield 2A.JPG

Sheffield 3A.JPG

Sheffield 4A.JPG

Sheffield 5A.JPG

Sheffield 6A.JPG

Sheffield 7A.JPG

Sheffield 8A.jpg

• Like 1

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 23 October 1875

In Court 4 another good woman laid a foundation of bricks, Then she deposited her furniture upon the top.

Sheffield 1.JPG

• Like 1

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 28 August 1902

The Rufford Road Sewer is to small to carry away the contents that the larger sewers pour into it.

Sheffield 1.JPG

Sheffield 2.JPG

Sheffield 3.JPG

Sheffield 4.JPG

Sheffield 5.JPG

• Like 1

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 23 May 1932
Worst Floods for 33 Years.

Mr Arthur Hartley, an off-licence holder donned his bathing costume and went into his cellar to remove his stock.

Sheffield 1A.JPG

Sheffield 2A.JPG

Sheffield 3A.JPG

Sheffield 4A.JPG

Sheffield 5A.JPG

Sheffield 6A.JPG

Sheffield 7A.JPG

Sheffield 8A.jpg

Sheffield 9A.jpg

Sheffield 10A.JPG

Sheffield 11A.JPG

Sheffield 12A.JPG